PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the rear 02s still active even when they have been removed with tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Are the rear 02s still active even when they have been removed with tuning??

I had some mufflers replaced on my car yesterday, went from bullets to XR-1s in my TDs. Anyway when it was on the rack I got underneath it to look and talk with the guy doing the work and noticed my passenger side rear 02 had wire had come loose and was swinging against and hitting my collector and had burnt through the protective harness and the wire as well exposing the naked wire. Well I taped it back up and zip tied it out of the way so it wont happen again.

Now the question. I have been having issues that every once in awhile my car will sputter and have no power and when you give it throttle it will jump out of it and get sideways. It does it most of the time when it rains but sometimes when it doesnt. What Im thinking is the exposed wire was getting wet and sending weird signals to the pcm freaking it out and also grounding to the collector when it would hit it doing the same thing but I dont know if when they turn the rear 02s off they actually turn them off totally or just turn off the codes they throw. Hopefully they just turn off the codes so I just fixed my problem.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear O2s when turned off from your tuning software doesnt turn them off physically, just tells the VCM not to alarm its incorrect information its receiving. It will still read its values, but will not use them to set off a MIL.

The rears will not cause your car to sputter as it has no bearing on the fuel control. All it does it look and make sure the cats are there and working.

Dixit
Old 08-19-2005, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well damn I thought I was onto something.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you been having this problem? I can scan the car and we can look if you want. Sounds like a tuning issue to me, and like Dixit said, the rear o2s are there to make sure cats do their job.