Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of lights on ??????? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question lots of lights on ??????? HELP

Ok, so I'm driving around tonight and my ABS INOP, BRAKE and SERVICE VEHICLE lights ALL came on (and stayed on, through several trips) in my car tonight. Brakes feel fine, didn't have to brake hard enough to make sure the ABS still kicked in, e-brake was fully disengaged... One of my brakes is squealing slightly, but I didn't think these cars had an electronic brake pad wear sensor or anything like that... Any ideas what this could be?

UPDATE:
Well, it occurred to me today after I got to work to check the fuses. Unfortunately, I don't have a fuse puller in the car, so I can't get them out immediately to check them. But, that'll be the first thing I check when I get home from work. Probably stop by Autozone or someplace similar and have them read any codes that might be in there too, see if that gives me any clues...

I'm hoping for the fuse thing though, as about a month ago, the fuse for the cigarette lighter blow out and had to be replaced.

UPDATE:
another option that came up during my research last night... Wheel speed sensors... Seems to be at least one in the differential casing on the top driver side and possibly one in each wheel... Didn't get a chance to physically look last night, but will do so immediately after work today...

UPDATE:
Tried disconnecting the battery for about 10-15 minutes last night, all that succeeded in doing was resetting my CD player to the first track and messing up the clock... Going to find the PCM reset procedure today and try that during lunch or something, see if the lights come back after that...

UPDATE:
scanned the car and U1040 and U1000 codes came up, cleared them and they came back immediately... Some type of general ABS communication error codes. Need to do more research on them.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT come on someone has to know something about this................................
Old 08-22-2005, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all the wiring would be a good start.. Maybe take the sensors out a clean them as they are a magnetic sensor if i remember correctly.
My ABS INOP light is on as well.. But, I know why because I picked up and after market rear end with no ABS on it? So, i just unplugged the wires.. Thats the only thing that that I am getting though..
Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks man, evey little bit of info is a help
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check the ABS fuse... also could be an issue w/the ABS reluctor wheels ...

also....

spec_j ... can you change your sig pic please?

Max size allowed is 500x150 and yours is 590x153

also... while I like that ***... can you remove that ? We have lots of people that browse this site.. and if someone's manager walked by and saw that.... they could get in trouble....

However... the bunny animated gif... while against the rules... (no animated gifs in sigs) .. MUST stay I LOL everytime I see that damn bunny w/a pancake hehe

thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

These two codes mean a problem in the area of the battery positive or ignition positive circuit, or a short to ground.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for posting this spec, didn't think to post it here...

Btw, this is my car he's posting about... And here's the latest in the saga...

Car has been the same since last Wednesday, no better, no worse. Today I leave from work and none of the lights were on, I think "cool, maybe it was a glitch." Get about 50 feet and the "Service Vehicle" light comes back on, but only that one. I think, "Well, better than all three". Another 100 feets or so and all three lights come on, plus the "Chech Gauges". On top of that, my fuel gauge, tach and engine temp guage all zero out. About a second later, the three gauges go back to normal and the "Check Gauges" light goes off, ABS INOP, BRAKE and SERVICE VEHICLE all stay on. Another 500 feet or so, does it again, Check Gauges and the three gauges drop to zero. A second later, back to "normal". Did that another 3 or so times, then everything but the SERVICE VEHICLE light went off. Stayed like that until I got home...

I'm starting to think my computer is dorked. Need to do some research to see if tuning a car can do this, but I'm NOT in a good mood right now.

sunsetta, if that's probably what it means, then that makes sense... About a year ago, I replaced my OEM battery with an Optima because the OEM was leaking from the positive. There was a lot of corrosion on the post and some on the engine bay metal and a slight bit on the postive wire harness... I'll have to check those out, see if anything got any worse... Thanks for giving me hope

horist, I checked 2 of the 4 ABS fuses (the smaller ones, didn't have anything with me at the moment to check the two larger ones). The two I checked were fine, but I'll try to pull the larger ones tomorrow.

Last edited by fugasi; 08-26-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

whats wrong with my sig??? had it for months now...
Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

going to go TTT on this one....any and all imput is considered. thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by spec_j
whats wrong with my sig??? had it for months now...
As I specified... it was larger than allowed (500x150 is max) and the scantilly (sp?) clad female in the picture could get people on the board in trouble... same rules apply to everyone

Thank you for complying w/board rules
Old 08-28-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude i got the point already no need to drag this out...............................

as i stated TTT, i did ge the car tuned again, so i think that might have helped, but i have disconnected pretty much everything and cleaned all connections. car seems to be fine now thought
Old 08-28-2005, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

For the past 2 days, the car has been normal, no lights other than the power on lights test... Still wanted to find out what the problem was, so I decided to work on the power cables from the battery out...

Ok, so I drive over to my friends house today to start working on the power cables, car was normal still (no abnormal lights)...
Spent the better part of the day pulling the wires from the battery, ended up deciding not to replace all of them as most of them looked fine. Got a new positive from battery to starter wire, because that was the one that looked chewed up. Spliced a new side post terminal on, reinstalled everything, started the car, lights are back...

Going to let it go a couple days, see if they go back off... Hopefully I'll be able to get the codes read again soon... Will keep this updated with any new findings...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hope all is well with the ride man. if you need anything hit me up