PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waiting for my HPTuners, so I made a Laptop stand, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waiting for my HPTuners, so I made a Laptop stand, what do you think?

Bought my HPTuners last Sat. should be here next Wed. so I'm trying to learn as much as I can and I'm reading the newbie tuner doc over and over can't wait to get started.

So in the meantime I used a bunch of parts I had laying around in my shop and made my own laptop stand.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good! keep those bolts tight though... it'll take a beating on any decent launch

what are you using to secure the laptop to the stand?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

undecided atm, thinking about using straps or bolting right to the laptop case itself... maybe build a tray with a lip, but I'm liking that idea less and less the more I think about it.

thanks and props on your site btw
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI... the laptop mount i have uses strong wire .... that fits very vightly to the non keyboard parts of the laptop ..... uses a spring tension ....

laptop mounts at idle are great.... but under acceleration .... they need to be bolted down! (one of my wire supports came loose earlier this year... so I only had 1 holdin the laptop in place..... 1 1.5 second 60ft launch and my laptop was dangling from the stand ..... (surprisingly it didnt' crash (literally.. after it happened I was expecting the hard drive to be toast.... that's alot of Gs for it to sustain)

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/mobnotdescam.html

that's what I've run for the past 2 years

I fixed the loose support earlier tis year... and havne't had a problem.....
Old 08-27-2005, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

nice, at least the launch didn't kill it

I looked at all the laptop stands I could before doing one, that's where I got the idea to mount to the seat bolts. The only thing I didn't like about the stands you can buy is they all seem to hold the laptop up pretty high. Strength was the main consideration for me, as my laptop is fairly heavy. Now that I have it all fitted I plan to remove it all and put a good finish on all the parts (maybe rhino lining). And I need a wing nut for the main floor bolt, so I can remove the whole thing easily. It's a half inch bolt so it's plenty strong enough.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks good, ive been looking at some on ebay, they range from 20-30 and the neck part of the stand is flexable like one of those snake flashlights or desk lamps
Old 08-27-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
looks good, ive been looking at some on ebay, they range from 20-30 and the neck part of the stand is flexable like one of those snake flashlights or desk lamps
I bought one of those --- forget it. They are not strong enough. I will sell you mine for $20 if you really want one.

Bill
Old 08-28-2005, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

I would use zip ties to secure the laptop to the stand and just cut them when you take it out. those babys will hold anything and they wont scrach up the laptop. nice stand BTW.

More Than Zero
Old 08-28-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M_T_0
I would use zip ties to secure the laptop to the stand and just cut them when you take it out. those babys will hold anything and they wont scrach up the laptop. nice stand BTW.

More Than Zero
Pretty good idea.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

at least on my computer, on the back corners, there are places a zip tie could go through, but in the front, a strap might be ur only choice. i would think that u might want to use locking nuts cause it might loosen up otherwise
Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Restricted User

I'm considering a velcro strap to wrap around and secure back onto itself. Nicely crafted.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I bought one of those --- forget it. They are not strong enough. I will sell you mine for $20 if you really want one.

Bill
thanks for the warning, does the stand wobble alot under accelerating?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cool setup. I set mine on the passanger seat. I actually got warned the other week by a track member saying nhra rules do not allow unrestrained laptops in your car. Since then I just throw a towel over it when I get close to staging. lol...
Old 09-11-2005, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

a couple of guys asked me how I made this stand, I plan on posting something with a good description of the build, sorry for the delay

well I got my HPTuners, and aside from not having the time to learn how to tune (I've gotten absofuckinglutely nothing done), my laptop is locking up so now I need a new laptop, I don't trust the old one to do any writing, then I can finish my stand and I'll post the write-up, if I don't chuck everything over the hill first as I really can't afford a new laptop now...

the materials I used are :

2 flat bars of 5/16th material (I used commercial garage door opener parts) both 15" x 1-1/4"

I've got a 1/2" piece of hard black plastic for my table top piece, but I'm just using a piece of plywood now for fitment.

and fasteners (whatever you want really)

the rest you can tell from my pics... I'll post measurements later if I ever get this damn thing going.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Will the laptop go flyin on a hard launch? I keep mine in the passanger seat, havent got to a hard launch yet since I got the enhanced i/o. Mine is as big as a boat, Horist, is that thing worth the steep price?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

no, it's quite stable really at least from a roll at 20.... haven't done a hard launch yet either.