PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0342 trouble code - Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Location?

Were Is The Location Of The Crankshaft Position Sensor FOR 99 TRANS AM LS1? My Check Engine Light Comes On...im Thinking Maybe I Left That Unpluged, I Have One Un Connected Wire But Do Not Know Were It Goes, Im Thinking It's For That. Car Runs, No Problem Just Check Engine Light.

Last edited by mexricanboy26; 09-01-2005 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try this
Read the 6th post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...osition+sensor
Old 09-01-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

above the starter on the passenger side of the block
Old 09-01-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help to know what code you are getting to make sure. P0336 is the code you would get if it is the crankshaft position sensor.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Teching In

DMONEY THNX FOR THE RESPONSE IN REGARDS TO THIS POST. I OBTAIN MY CODES FROM MY ACTRON SCANNER. MY CODE IS DIFFERENT FROM YOURS. MINES IS ( )
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) p0342
DTC Definition: Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Low Input
Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

It doesn't matter which scanner you use, the OBDII codes you get on all GM vehicles are the same. The code you are getting is P0342, which is the camshaft position sensor and not the crankshaft position sensor. Two totally different sensors. The Camshaft Position sensor is mounted through the top of the engine block at the rear of the valley cover behind the intake. If you have small hands, you can maybe reach back there from the passenger side and plug it back in without taking the intake off.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Teching In

tHNX! THERE IS A LOOSE PLUG THAT PRETTY MUCH IS THE LENGH OF WERE YOU DESCRIBED THAT SENSOR GOES. iM HOPEING THIS IS THE PROBLEM. 2 SIMILIAR NAMES AND YESTURDAY I PURCHASED THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR INSTALLED IT. NOW I KNOW WHY IM STILL GETTING THAT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CODE. WELL TO EVERYONE I HAVE A OEM CRANKSHAFT SENSOR WITH 10,000 MILES FOR ANYONE WHO IS INTRESTED : ) HOPEFULLY IM ABLE TO LOOK FOR THIS CAMSHAFT SENSOR. I RECALL LOOKING BACK THERE ON THE PASSENGER HEAD AND I DID NOT SEE ANYTHING, I WILL RE LOOK AGAIN TODAY. THX!
Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Well That Loose Plug Was The Problem. At First I Looked Everywere To See If This Went Plugged In Somewere But Nothing. Thanks To You Guys I Was Able To Find It. Knowing Were That Camshaft Sensor Is..its Not Easy To See It. Took My Car For Emission And Past!!! Guys Were Like Wow, This Baby Passed With Good Scored Normally There Not That Good! Hehe I Didnt Tell Them I Had A Ls1 In There.
One More Thing That Is Out Of The Subject And Perhaps You Guys Had This Problem. As I Stomp On The Gas To Go Full Throttle I Hear A Clunk Sound Somewere By The Driver Fron Side. As If Something Was Hitting The Body Of The Car. I Inspected But Nothing That Seems To Touch. It Goes Away On Hiugh Rpms.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Glad you got the electrical problem solved. Now for the clunking, is it consistent or does it just do it when you take off. You might want to take off the tire and look around your front suspension, rotors, A-arms, shocks, swaybar, bushings.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Thnx! Ill Look Into It Tomorrow. It Does It When I Take Off And Only When Again I Stomp On The Gas For Full Throttle. Thing Is I Feel Somthing Hitting Somewere On The Body Of The Car Near The Driver Side Under Body, I Will Say About Were The Driver Side Manifold Is But The Bottom. After Im On The 3 Year I Dont Hear It Anymore.

Quick Reply: p0342 trouble code - Crankshaft Position Sensor?