Sponsored by:

2005 OBD/ECM Newbie Query from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 OBD/ECM Newbie Query from the UK

Hope this is in the correct forum!
This may seem an odd request for information at this website but please bear with me and accept my apologies for a long-winded enquiry from across the Pond!
I need some information regarding the 2005 specification LS2 engine as fitted in your Corvette and Pontiac GTO (similar to Vauxhall Monaro VXR here in England and Holden in Australia I believe).
I want to fit the LS2 engine and in line T56 box into a car here in the UK and am capable of the mechanical aspects of the transplant and other suspension/brake upgrades etc. I have researched these forums and others and have found them incredibly informative. However I do not think anyone has yet asked the following:
I want to use a new crate Performance Parts engine and I want to keep the original engine management and loom AND keep ALL of the emissions hardware, i.e. I want to be purchasing the ECU and engine wiring harness new as per the OE GM fitment, if that is possible. I want to keep all of the OBD 2 compliance and can endeavour to keep exhaust backpressure and inlet tract conditions as similar as possible to ensure that the base calibration is as little affected as possible. I have no requirement to tune the engine or remove any of the emissions equipment. The principal reason behind this is to allow later export of the car when I emigrate to a more legislated country than the UK. What I do CANNOT have is any integration between the engine management system and any anti theft devices or any CAN connections to the OE base vehicle body control systems.
My current guess is that this rules out the 2005-6 Corvette or GTO management systems as these appear integrated via CAN bus to the anti theft and other car peripherals (e.g. dash displays etc.).
I have read here and elsewhere of HPTuner and EFILive to enable the sane aftermarket tuners to do the opposite, i.e. ditch some of the emissions equipment and get round the OBD2 diagnostics functions as well as fine tune the calibration maps for different performance enhancing modifications etc. but my PRIORITY is to know if there exists a GM parts shelf solution to the harness and ECU issue.
To summarise I need to identify a GM OE supply solution to an engine management control unit (ECU or ECM) AND ideally an engine wiring harness AND a software solution to the anti theft/CAN issues if these indeed are required for the relevant ECU as just previously defined. I suppose I have no problem if I am required to source a custom engine harness or indeed if I need to reprogram a stock GM ECU to “get around” the anti theft system issues, as long as the emission control and driveability calibration details are left alone. I want the OE parts for reliability and the massive mountain of work that has already been done for both emissions and reliability of the stock base calibration maps etc. I need the finished transplanted vehicle to be capable of passing the European Euro 4 emissions test that now include OBD2 etc.
It seems like the opposite of all sane car nuts but compared to alternative approaches, having a big stock and powerful American engine running on its standard OBD compliant emissions friendly calibration is a simple answer: on paper. If anyone has any thoughts they can either post them here, or if needed e mail me directly: neillval[at]tiscali.co.uk, (replace the [at] with the @ symbol please).
Many thanks in advance
Neill