Sponsored by:

Needed Hardware for Tuning software

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Needed Hardware for Tuning software

Hello Everyone,
I've been looking into getting the hardware for some tuning software, EFI Live or LS1 Edit. Exactly, what hardware do I need? And if possible, links to where I can purchase them. I have USB and a serial port. Vehicle is a 2001 Trans Am WS6.

Thanks,
Haans
Old 09-05-2005, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is a laptop the WB (wide band) is optional. Edit isnt a contender anymore. read around on the forums and make your decison based on the wealth of information this forum provides, the stickies would be a good start
Old 09-05-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Although a WB is not required, it is a very nice compliment to your tuning software. I use an LC-1 for my tuning. Great bang for the buck. I've seen them available for less than $200. You can search this section for vendors, look to the right, or ebay.

EFILive is an incredible tuning software suite. You would be very happy with it!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Thanks for the tips. What I also need to know, is what hardware do I need to hook my computer (laptop), up to my vehicle, other than just the OBD-II to serial cable? I know I need some sort of converter or something. I'll be using EFILive.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all required hardware is provided... it pluts into the DLC under the steering wheel and then into your laptop.. the rest is software (specially since you have serial and usb you're all set... EFI Live will use the usb port)
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, I downloaded the software off their website. So, I'm just wondering what hardware is compatible with this software, so I don't have to spend 300 dollars for the Flashscan Interface, ect..... (i'm tight on cash as of late) I know I need the OBD-II cable, but what other device would be able to take place of their flashscanner? Would the autotap one work as well?

thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all tuning software has some kind of "lock" for both hptuners and EFI live, the cable is what they use for this lock to prevent somebody from just using any generic interface cable to tune with.

So you will need to get one of the interface boxes, which is where the cost of the tuning solution is, sorry.

Ryan
Old 09-06-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one case where you wont likely be able to get around the protection scheme since its built into the hardware. The only way to get away cheaper is to split the cost with a friend and share the cable (HPTuners lets you chose 2 car types)
Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Haans249
Actually, I downloaded the software off their website. So, I'm just wondering what hardware is compatible with this software, so I don't have to spend 300 dollars for the Flashscan Interface, ect..... (i'm tight on cash as of late) I know I need the OBD-II cable, but what other device would be able to take place of their flashscanner? Would the autotap one work as well?

thanks
IIRC - you can use either the Flashscan cable or the Autotap cable for their scanner. You won't be able to re-flash without the Flashscan cable.

You might also try posting this question on the EFILive forum.