Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piss gas - SES lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default **** gas - SES lights?

I've had some intermittent SES problems with both of my cars (OBD-2) recently.... I think I have them both straightened out but I suspect the fuel may be a source of issues.

They recently switched to a methonal additive in New York. Previously this was used only in winter for a few months but now it is mandated 12 months a year.....

Anyway, I think i got a few tranks of crap gas. Has anyone had simular problems?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
They recently switched to a methonal additive in New York. Previously this was used only in winter for a few months but now it is mandated 12 months a year.....
I seriously hope you mean ETHANOL. Methanol is corrosive and not usable in our engine. You wont have any problems running the 10% ethanol we have in NY. Thats all theyve had to almost 2 years down here on the Island. I tune my car for the ethanol mixed gas and when I take a trip upstate and get a tankfull of straight gas, I do see my LTFTs jump a bit negative. The variation is only in the single digits. Maybe 5 - 7 percent. Should not be enough to make your car run crappily unless your tune was WAY off to begin with.