Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-4 shift problems with my mail order tune anyone have and idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-4 shift problems with my mail order tune anyone have an idea

Got a mail order tune, redline is at 6800 1,2,3 shifts are great. 3-4 it just climbs over to 7K no revlimiter it doesn't shift into 4th until you let off just a bit and then it shifts into 4th. I just got my converter refreshed and have a semi built transmission, all fresh as of this week.
Hooked autotap up to it and when it should shift into 4th it shows three on the autotap and when I lift to let it shift it says 4th. So that tells me its in the tune.

Any ideas what I can tell the tuner or does someone have good idea what is going on?

Last edited by speedo; 09-14-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Teching In

I believe the speed limiter on an A4 C5 is set by what speed you would reach at redline in 3rd gear. I read this somewhere over on the corvette forum, not sure of its accuracy.

I do know that i can set an rpm & speed combined shift point where it won't shift until both programed speed AND rpm are reached at WOT regardless of rev limiter setting. But mine didn't climb through the rpms anymore, just bounced off the rev limiter until speed was reached.

Last edited by SkankZilla; 09-14-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Second Club

I know on my stock file the 3-4 shift mph is set to like 158 or something crazy like that.......meaning it won't go into 4th at WOT. Unless you had your tuner address that you might have the same thing going on.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
I know on my stock file the 3-4 shift mph is set to like 158 or something crazy like that.......meaning it won't go into 4th at WOT. Unless you had your tuner address that you might have the same thing going on.

I sent it back once already on a knock retard issue and had him look if the tune was not making it shift or if it was the trans he said it looked good according to him.

I will have to give him a call today....just looking for ideas so I can ask some questions.

My freind has the same issue with his trans, same tuner. BUT he is having his trans rebuilt also and his clutch packs where fried, mine where "normal" wear.

Thanks for the info
Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well...with hpt it autoscales the tranny tables when you change for tire/gear...with 26" tall tires the wot shift point should be 117mph dependant upon the rpm shift point commanded...stock its like 5900 on the 3-4. Its one of two things 1. your tranny is having problems shifting to fouth at wot 2. your MAIL TUNE isnt perfect...which even dyno tunes have problems getting your shift points right...not only the first time, but subsequent times...shift points in an auto are one of the harder more time consuming things....because as the tranny heats up the shifts usually change a bit, its usually a try it and hope its close type of thing for the most part.