Sponsored by:

Got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got a ?

When the cam and stall are installed in my car would it be better to have the car dyno tuned or would a mail-order tune work? The reason I ask is because I have a custom PCM from a non-sponsor and they will retune it for free 3 times per year. Any help would be great.

Kyle
Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dyno tune is always better, but since it is no cost, why not try the mailorder tune first and see how close they can get.

Ryan
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

as mentioned.. a dyno tune or self tune w/wideband is always going to be best...

Mail order tunes are great for getting the car in the "general" area.... but that's it.... no 2 cars are the same... so no canned tune can work on every car (however there are some mail order tuners that can do very good mail order tunes for particular cams ... generally the company that makes/sells the cam will offer the best generic mailorder tune)
Old 09-14-2005, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Since I'm going to Iraq this month my dad is going to be sending the PCM out. I am going to give him a list of everything that has been done to the car, so he can send it with the PCM. I'll see how it runs for awhile when I get home then take it Futral Motorsports to fine tune everything.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

#1 ... thank you ... I and the rest of us PCM geeks appreciate what you are doing ..

#2... if the mail order is free (I read your original post as ... you pay for a mailorder tune and then they'll fix it for free 3 times) then go for it....

but if you're paying any money for it.. and then planning on having it tuned at futral (they know their ****) ... just wait and have the full thing done by futral....

I prefer to start w/a stock tune and make changes myself. and many mail orders that I know of use stock tunes as a base..... so your mail order tune would be useless....
Old 09-15-2005, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

The only thing I have to pay is shipping to and from the company. I had them adjust the A/F ratio, shift points, rev limiter and they also removed torque management. The two main reasons I am going to have the company retune it is #1 I only have to pay shipping and #2 so I can get the car somewhat tuned for the cam so it doesn't run like sh!&. But thanks for the replies.

Kyle