Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition lock cylinder??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ignition lock cylinder??

I removed my lock cylinde from the column and there are two white wires attached to it. My securtiy light has been coming on for sometime now and my car won't start when the light is blinking. How am i supposed to tell if the connections are ok on the lock cylinder when the wires run deep into the lock cylinder when i can't see where they attach or connect.

Also, if i end up getting a new cylinder how am i supposed to install it? cut the existing wires and soder them together with the new cylinder? There is no quick disconnect? What gives? PLEASE HELP!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

the wires go down the colum and into a connector under the kick panel. if you pull the kick panel you should be able to see them. normally those white wires break right at the lock cyl.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

ah ok so what does it mean when they are not broke but i am still getting a blinking sercuity light that wont let me start my car?

Also, if i order a new lock cylinder will it come with those two long wires?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Question

someone???

Latest update...
I have inspected the connections at the lock cylinder and under the steering wheel column. Both appear to be solid, though i haven't tested them for continuety yet..

If those two wires going to the lock cylinder are not the problem...What Else Could it be?

1. Put the key in the ignition
2. Security light begins blinking
3. Car won't start

It had done this a few times before but eventually worked now it appears to be perminant.
Please any ideas would be appreciated~!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes it is just a dirty key, or the cyl is dirty on the inside that reads the restister on the key...

To fix your problem, all you need to do is measure the resistance of the key pelet and then, get the right resister and then connect the two wires using that resister. and disconnect the wire going to the cyl.... It will work.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Ok latest update,

I installed a new lock cylinder and key and it fixed the problem. I'm guessing that even though the wires were not broke maybe the contacts inside the lock cylinder wore down enough to not allow contact on each side of the key chip. However, once i took it for a test drive the security light came on AGAIN!! and then went off. This happend 3 more times and its been a full day and I haven't seen it so far. Crossing my fingers