Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Edit Question...

Hey Guys.

I havent really been involved with tuning at all in the past year and a half-2 years since my car has been down.

Question is that I have ls1 edit(purchased around december of 03) and from just reading stuff on the boards I hear that people have friend their pcm's with it and everyone uses hp tuners or efi live now.

The thing that I wanted to know is I thought I read somewhere you can just send in the ls1 edit plug and they can switch it out for HP tuners?

What kind of extra expense would be involved in that? I dropped 550 on ls1 edit back then and dont want to drop another 500 bucks into tuning software i wont really use too often if at all.

Can someone pitch in some info? I tried doing a search but couldnt find out what I needed to know.

TIA.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP Tuners offers a trade in program for LS1 Edit, Autotap, Predator, Hypertech, etc.... The amount back varies.

Best bet is to email their sales address (available on hptuners.com) and find out what kind of cash back deal they are offering.

Basically this deal is offered through HP Tuners not LS1 Edit... so it's not a huge (not half) but it's something. If you can find a friend that wouldn't mind sharing the cable you two could split it (HPT comes w/2 licenses that are year/model locked... so if you choose a 2000 V8 F-Body and a 2001 V8 F-Body license, you can tune as many of those cars as you want... then if in a year you sell your car and don't need the cable anymore, the HPT cable still has resale since it's not VIN locked)
Old 09-28-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Hey Guys.

I havent really been involved with tuning at all in the past year and a half-2 years since my car has been down.

Question is that I have ls1 edit(purchased around december of 03) and from just reading stuff on the boards I hear that people have friend their pcm's with it and everyone uses hp tuners or efi live now.

The thing that I wanted to know is I thought I read somewhere you can just send in the ls1 edit plug and they can switch it out for HP tuners?

What kind of extra expense would be involved in that? I dropped 550 on ls1 edit back then and dont want to drop another 500 bucks into tuning software i wont really use too often if at all.

Can someone pitch in some info? I tried doing a search but couldnt find out what I needed to know.

TIA.
What are you using to scan you car with?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

ill prob get efi live or autotap, i think you can get them for under 200 or so? ill have my lap top, but ive never used a scanning tool before so i dont know what to look for.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

You won't get a decent scanner for $200. Most are from $350-$500 that supports GM enhanced parameters. Since you do not have scanning software, trade the LS1 Edit cable in for HP Tuners. I traded mine in and HP Tuners is 1000x better and you can scan/edit with the same cable. Otherwise, you will be switching cables a lot and that sucks. When I traded my LS1 Edit cable in, I received a $200 credit torwards HP Tuners. It is better than nothing, which is what the LS1 Edit Cable is worth.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Teching In

I have LS1 edit and use efi live. Is Hp Tuners easier because I'm lost with what I have. Basic stuff like shift points are easy. Also when I scan the car it stalls after it's in 2nd. Thought about upgrading but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $450 after trading LS1 edit. Also does HP use USB?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

ok, another question. If lets say we have a local tuner that has HPT, do I really need to purchase this since HPT isnt locked to any vins?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

if he's got a license for your vehicle year then he can use his to tune your car as well.

I came from LS1 Edit and anything is better than it as far as easy to use.... I've learned alot more about tuning since playing around w/HP Tuners... the scanner and Tuner integration is great as well. HPT does not have USB available for purchase yet, when 2.0 is released it will be USB (required for tuning LS2 based vehicles)