PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is HP Tuners overkill for a lightly modified car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Is HP Tuners overkill for a lightly modified car?

I'm looking at tuning my 01 TA which only has minor mods (3200 converter, LT headers, ported TB, lid and exhaust) and I'm wondering if HP Tuners would really be more of a benefit to me then a handheld (I'm leaning to the Vinci). I'll be tuning on a dyno with a wide band so I figure that all I really need is a way to lean out and add timing at WOT.

My car is a weekend warrior and it's drivability is fine, changing lock up points would be cool, but I could live without. I believe I'm running rich from running AutoTap which I already have. I'm basically interested in getting a conservative tune and doing stuff like increasing my shift firmness and raising my shift points a little.

If there was alot more benefit with using HP Tuners, I'd spend the extra $80 for it over the cost of the hand held. Unfortunately, my laptop is a 133 and I'm leary of how much life it has left. I'm worried about having a $500 program that is down because my computer is dead and I don't know if I want to drop another $250 to get the laptop up to snuff.

If there is anyone else who was in the same situation or started out with a handheld and graduated to HP Tuners or a similar program later on, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPTuners doesn't require a top of the line laptop. I'd say its probably worth your while, and over the course of a year you could probably make that money back helping friends out with their cars.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Get HP tuners. If you ever do more mods, you'll regret not having HP tuners capability.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it will be the best $500 mod you've ever bought. Unlike most mods it will grow with you and your car.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an A4, the ability to change lock-up, WOT shifts, and part throttle shifts makes tuning software a great mod
Old 10-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm what you consider "lightly modded", and after looking at my compare file and seeing that I have changed 79 things from the stock tune already, I'd say it is worth it (and I have an M6). The software has a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is really the best mod you can do.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

I used to use HPP3 and AutoTAP when I was lightly modded. I too have an A4 with a converter. I sold my HPP3 and AutoTAP and purchased HPTuners ... boy what a difference. I was now able to change things that the hand held didn't allow, plus I could now use the info that AutoTAP was giving me. You can trade in your AutoTAP to HPTuners and get a scanner, flash program, and tuning program ... so no need to have AutoTAP, since HPTuners will have you covered with a built in scanner. I have pretty much the same mods you do, and you would be amazed at the difference a little tune will do to the driveability of your car. It can make it a more enjoyable vehicle that will virtually remove all the little quicks that annoy you from driving a stalled A4. Get it and don't look back, you laptop will be fine ... and if it dies, you can find a replacement for about $200 on eBay.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

It takes a bit of knowlage but there are gains to be had even with a stock car , it's not a matter of just pointing it at the car and pressing a button but it's all good fun .
Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Holden LS1 Tonner
It takes a bit of knowlage but there are gains to be had even with a stock car , it's not a matter of just pointing it at the car and pressing a button but it's all good fun .
You are dead right mate as we know dont we, put an extra 35hp at the back wheels with mine from stock with a couple of mods like i cat back exhaust but we have only just begun tuning mine and we are not tuners, we are having a play hopefully by the time we finish playing we will have anothe 20rwhp that will put us at 300rwhp.

cheers
Drew
Old 10-06-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a real tuner program. the good part about it is that not only you can change stuff, but you can always change/improve things. i spent like few months tweaking A4 shift curves for example. totally worth it, car's SO much more fun now. stockish cars are perfect to learn on too, and you're in for a nice suprise of 20+hp if you do it right.