PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prof. Dyno tune or Hptuners?

Old 10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Prof. Dyno tune or Hptuners?

I just finished doing a complete tranny overhaul and installing a vig 2800 stall converter on my 00' WS6 A4. I need to get it tuned as the shift points need to be changed. Would it be better to get it professionally dyno tuned or go have it run on the dyno and pick up hptuners and tune it myself? Dyno tuning is running anywhere from $400-$500 and hptuners is about $500 I have never used a tuner program before so it might be a good learning experience. What does everyone think?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I choose HPtuners

Do you like computers?
Do you like learning stuff you never even knew about?
Do you take pride in your work and enjoyment in personally improving the performance of your car?

Or do you just want it done and not have to spend the time messing with it?

Well, are you Person A, or Person B?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Of course i would rather do it myself and gain any knowledge that I can, but being a newbie i didnt know if i would be able to accomplish the same type of results that someone who has alot of experience could achieve.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I say software...

there are a ton of writeups on how to tune
and as long as you follow directions well, then it should almost tune itself.
there are definately some areas that might take you longer tan other(like making a big cam idle properly, or getting the throttle cracker/follower tables right.....
but those can all be found in writeups to get it close enough also, and you can fiddle until you are happy...
wort case scenario...you have to save up a few more bucks and find somebody to help out and fix teh things you cant, but atleast you will get to do everything and not have to worry about a tuner telling you he's tuning your car and really only getting WOT on the dyno and some spark adjustment so it idles...
Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say software as well...dyno tuning wont do **** for getting your shift points right.

Search this Thread