Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idles surges in gear only after startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Idles surges in gear only after startup

99 A4 TA, heads, 224/580 cam, yank 3600, when you start the car (hot or not) and put it in gear and go it idles way down then back up a few times. after im out the driveway its fine.
any time after that its fine. only does it right after startup.??

I have HP tuner. what should i look for?
thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does the same thing, but it's an M6. I've been trying to do everything I can, but it still does it.

For you, at least start with the basics.

Lean out your VE table at 400, 800, and 1200 rpm.

Make sure that your IAC position is about 30-50 with A/C off at warmed up idle. To lower it, turn the Throttle body set screw till your throttle position reads 2%. Then unplug the IAC position sensor, turn ignition on for 10 sec, then off. Then plug the sensor back in, and log IAC position again.

Increase the timing at idle a couple of degrees.

Log your STIT and LTIT in gear and park from cold all the way warmed up with a/c off. Make sure to log them in g/sec and temperature in F degrees. Then adjust your base idle airflow accordingly to keep it in line.

If all else fails, change your throttle cracker to engage at around 10 mph and disengage at 9mph. It's kinda a bandaid fix.

Supposedly, after doing these things, you shouldn't have problems. But, I do still. I'm going to change my base idle airflow again though, I haven't done it since a few other adjustments.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine dialed in just right. Another big help was setting the timing to 30 degrees for both high octane/low octane tables and the park/gear tables for the 0-1000 rpm/0.32g/cyl.