Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD tuning using LTFT's with EFILive

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD tuning using LTFT's with EFILive

posted this over in the EFIlive forums, but can't seem to get any noob help over there....
Ok i know there is a tutorial for SD tuning VE using the autotune feature of EFILive (which absolutely kicks azz) ,
but that requires a WB O2 sensor, which I don't have yet. And when I do get it, I'll then have to find somewhere to get the O2 bung welded onto the exhaust.
So, in the meantime, how about tuning the VE in SD mode, using the LTFT's from the car's narrow band O2 sensors, to get me going in SD mode until I can get the WB ??
I found a write-up using HP tuners on the LS1tech forums, but I figure as powerful as EFILive is, there might be an easier way to set up to do this?

Since there is already a map in the scan tool for LTFT percent, in MAP kPa vs. RPM, can you scan LTFT values in %, then copy / paste those to the VE table, which is also in MAP kPa vs. RPM, to correct the VE to bring the LTFT's down to zero? Does this make any sense?
please help me out
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

what you want to do is use the autotune map and make a calc pids that averages both LTRIM banks (LTRIM1 + LTRIMS2)/2 and plot this on the map by rpm and map. Same procedure different sensors/data
Old 10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copy this to the calc_pids.txt file. It is located in My Documents\EFI Live\V7\User Configuration

Code:
# ==============================================================================
# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter  Value            Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION     7.1.1            File version
DECSEP      .                Decimal separator used in this file

# ==============================================================================
# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code     System     Abbr     Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units             Low          High      Fmt  Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-015	 
%                -20.0         +20.0       .1  "({SAE.LONGFT1}+{SAE.LONGFT2})/2"

*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code                      PRN  SLOT         Units            System           Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.LTFTTOTAL             F015 CLC-00-015    %               (Calculated)       "LTFT Average Both Banks"

Last edited by Black02SS; 10-20-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, you can use fuel trims to tune part throttle ve. If you're LTFT's are within +/- 10, you should be using STFT's. The wonderful thing about EFILive is you can make your own MAPs. Just look at the table you wish to change (VE in this case) and then set the MAP up to record the data you want to use to change the table. So, here I would suggest creating a MAP with RPM's in the rows (labels start at 400 and go to 8000 in increments of 400), manifold pressure in the columns (labels start at 15 and go to 105 in increments of 5), and the data is STFT% or LTFT% from one of the banks (as long as you don't have an exhaust leak). Then, go out and log with the MAF sensor disabled/unplugged and filter your data when you get back. Try not to go WOT as it will ignore the O2's if you do. The averages you get are the percent increases or decreases you need to make on each cell.

Edit** Since you have a '98, you need to make the changes to your secondary VE table.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Copy this to the calc_pids.txt file. It is located in My Documents\EFI Live\V7\User Configuration

PHP Code:
# ==============================================================================
# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter  Value            Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION     7.1.1            File version
DECSEP      
.                Decimal separator used in this file

# ==============================================================================
# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code     System     Abbr     Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units             Low          High      Fmt  Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-015     
%                -20.0         +20.0       .1  "({SAE.LONGFT1}+{SAE.LONGFT2})/2"

*PRN Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code                      PRN  SLOT         Units            System           Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.LTFTTOTAL             F015 CLC-00-015    %               (Calculated)       "LTFT Average Both Banks" 
I copied this, but I got an error message:

"C:\Documents and Settings\timy\My Documents\EFILive\V7\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt(49): Slot not found. . "

Is that because mine is an 02 and there is no LongFT2 ???
Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

make sure there is a blank line at the end of the file

WOOT!!!!!! I get to post here
Old 10-20-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is another one that you can use as well. This one has two custom pids that allows the same concept as applying the BEN.

Code:
# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter  Value            Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION     7.1.1            File version
DECSEP      .                Decimal separator used in this file

# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code     System     Abbr     Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------
None      None       ""       "No units"

# Add slot definitions here
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units             Low          High      Fmt  Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-001
%rich                -20.00         20.00   .2 "({SAE.LONGFT1}+{SAE.LONGFT2})/2"
*CLC-00-002
factor               -20.00         20.00   .2 "({CALC.LONGFTAVG}/100)+1"

*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code                      PRN  SLOT         Units            System           Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.LONGFTAVG             F001 CLC-00-001   %rich            Fuel             "Long Term Fuel Trim Avg Banks 1 & 2"
CALC.LONGFT                F002 CLC-00-002   factor           Fuel             "Long Term Fuel Trim - Banks 1 & 2"
Save this file as calc_pids.txt and put it in My Documents\EFI Live\V7\User Configuration. Make sure you have this in there. It appears from your error that it may not be there.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the end of my new file:

PHP Code:
#Code                      PRN  SLOT         Units            System           Description 
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------ 
CALC.LTFTTOTAL             F015 CLC-00-015    %               (Calculated)       "LTFT Average Both Banks" 

-- 
What's wrong with it ?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Sent you a PM.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got it in the right spot, because first I backed up the existing file (did not move it), then I made the mods to the file and tried to use it, when I got the error. Changed it back and it worked again ??

Thanks for the help, I'm still learning the coding
Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

No worries man, glad you got it working. It is a little tricky at first but after you get it down is cake.

Quick Reply: SD tuning using LTFT's with EFILive