PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can WideBand O2's be left connection all the time?

Old 10-26-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can WideBand O2's be left connection all the time?

I have a AEM Widewand 02 Guage with the Bosch sensor on its way to me. I have removed AIR and EGR from the car. Planning on putting the sensor in where one of the AIR pipes once went. Is it a good idea to put it that far upstream, or is it best to put it after the Y-pipe.

I do about 10K miles per year, I probably wont be using the wideband during the winter, is it worth removing it when not using it or do they have a pretty long life?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, as long as it's wired in so it's on all the time the engine is running, it should last just as long as a narrow band sensor would.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap the key is just as 1fastWS6 said, it must be turned on. Many think they can leave it off, but that will shorten the lift of the Wideband O2 and accuracy will be off as well. By leaving it on the heated element keeps the carbon from building up on the sensor.

Dixit
Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your help. I'll fit it permanently and make sure its on all the time the engine is.

Looking to get the I/O interface from HP tuners so I can read it on the laptop as well as the guage on the dash.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 AM
FormerVendor

I've had my Dynojet in for over a year now and its still going strong, wired to the ignition feed so power is always applied when ignition is on.

Chris...
Old 10-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

I agree with what everyone else said but don't understand what you mean by

"Planning on putting the sensor in where one of the AIR pipes once went. Is it a good idea to put it that far upstream, or is it best to put it after the Y-pipe."

I see you donot have headers in your sig, so do you mean the air pipes on the manifolds? I would think that that would be too close to the head and would melt the sensor. And furthermore, I take you still have your cats...? If so, you would not get as accurate readings if it is placed after the cats. I am not familiar with AEMs' setup but I know the LM-1 from innovatemotorsports has a setup where you could swap out one of your factory narrow bands and feed the pcm a narrow band output from the controller. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Placing the O2 that far up will most likely be a bad idea... exhaust temps would be too hot for the sensor to work properly
Old 10-31-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Where would be the best place to put it? just after the two down pipes become one, after the CAT's?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Doc
I agree with what everyone else said but don't understand what you mean by

"Planning on putting the sensor in where one of the AIR pipes once went. Is it a good idea to put it that far upstream, or is it best to put it after the Y-pipe."

I see you donot have headers in your sig, so do you mean the air pipes on the manifolds? I would think that that would be too close to the head and would melt the sensor. And furthermore, I take you still have your cats...? If so, you would not get as accurate readings if it is placed after the cats. I am not familiar with AEMs' setup but I know the LM-1 from innovatemotorsports has a setup where you could swap out one of your factory narrow bands and feed the pcm a narrow band output from the controller. Hope this helps.
Yes I was meaning where the AIR pipe go in the headers. Still have stock headers, and need to keep the CATS in for emmision laws, how every I may get away with high flow cats. I only need the cats in 1 day per year, would take them off and fit a straight pipe but too much work swapping them each year. Where the EGR pipe went would be very close to the exhast outlet, the AIR place would be better as just before cats, but after cats you say its not as effetive. So not too sure where to fit it just yet.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

FWIW, I power my LM-1 manually shortly after starting the engine. This is to blow off any condensation which may have formed on the sensor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can WideBand O2's be left connection all the time?