Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits of Various Tunes??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Benefits of Various Tunes??

I have been doing some searches and reading and have a few questions. Hopefully some of the experts can chime in and maybe clear the fog.

- Closed Loop w/ MAF -
What is the benefit of running this style of tune? Is this a good daily driver tune, track tune? How accurate can this tune be with LT's and an altered intake tract?

- Closed Loop Speed Density -
What benefits does this style of tune carry? Is this a better daily driver choice or track only? Does the potential inconsistencys the MAF produce (read turbulence) make this an accurate (with changes in weather) choice?

- Open Loop w/ MAF -
I have found very little with regards to this style of tune. What is the MAF's role in this tuning style? Does it work normally (4000 rpm plus all MAF & 4000 rpm below a combination VE & MAF)? Is weather consistency optimum? Good daily driver choice or track only?

- Open Loop Speed Density -
I feel this is the best for a few reasons but am open to ideas and debate. What are the benefits? Is a Wideband O2 needed at all times or only when tuning? Is this weather sensitive? Who benefits from this style of tune, the daily driver or weekend warrior?

I will post my thoughts on each.

- Closed Loop w/ MAF -
I feel this would work best for a daily driver, driven year round that is looking for gains but not max effort. I feel the accuracy of this tune is going to be dependent on the O2's ability with LT's to stay hot and work efficiently.

- Closed Loop Speed Density -
With this tune, I feel you have taken the turbulence and potential for inconsistent air flow at 4000 rpm plus out of the equation. You still have the presence of NB O2's that may or may not be working to full accuracy. Also if I read correctly without a 1bar or 2bar Speed Density enhancement you are stuck using the secondary VE and Lo Octane table for 99-00. Is this correct?

- Open Loop w/ MAF -
Like stated before I have read very little on this. I would be interested to hear what the benefits of incorporating the MAF into Open Loop are.

- Open Loop Speed Density -
I believe this is similar to carb tuning with alot more control and accuracy. You are using alot of sensors and technology to do it, but you are commanding an AFR and are receiving it. Doesn't matter cruising or WOT. You have no learning from day to day. Weather, I feel, should have little to no effect on it. Granted cooler air will change your AFR and hotter will have an adverse effect but I think it would be nominal. Is the 1bar, 2bar ehancement needed here to take full advantage also?

Are my thoughts correct? I am here to learn. I am trying to make a choice on which way to go with my tuning. TIA

Dave
Old 10-29-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in others opinions on this as well