PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the cheapest way to log my car?

Old 11-09-2005, 03:20 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is the cheapest way to log my car?

Just wondering what the cheapest method of logging my car on the street/ track. I don't need to edit anything, just want to see whats going on. I have a diablo sport preditor, but it does not do logging, only real time data. Thats kind of hard to keep an eye on it and the road and the other gauges all at once. Especially while getting on it and shifting as well. Is there any way to plug the preditor into a laptop and have it record its data? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autotap would probably be the cheapest... if you don't mind looking at the information in excel

Keep in mind there are cheaper solutions... but the cheaper ones generally can't log GM Specific OBDII parameters such as Knock Retard....
Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.obd-2.com -- $122 with enhanced GM for LS1Y-body or LS1-Fbody. Not real intuitive to set up but after it's set up it's fine. I'm using it on my 04 GTO and am able to log KR, etc. using the Y-body paramaters.

Originally Posted by horist
autotap would probably be the cheapest... if you don't mind looking at the information in excel

Keep in mind there are cheaper solutions... but the cheaper ones generally can't log GM Specific OBDII parameters such as Knock Retard....
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

This sounds like a good tool. Is it a program and you need a laptop? I want a budget priced scan tool that can analize what the car is doing in real time and check codes that may not be setting off a service vehicle light. Can you explain in further detail about this product and how you use it?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A used copy of AutoTAP will probably run you even
less than that. Get a $200, 500MHz-range laptop
with a serial port and it's good enough for punk rock.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

or search for a used EFI for sale. better parameters than autotap. Also, if you get v6 standard, u can upgrade to pro for $100, then get a free upgrade to v7
Old 11-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Not sure if you're still interested but here's my take on it.

Yes, it is a program -- do need a laptop--however virtually any laptop will do -- I ran it on an old toshiba pentium1 until fairly recently

You can observe and log real-time data. Real time monitoring is via lists (plus there's a 'dash board' with guages that can be customized to display any monitored parameter with any range of values). Logged data can be replayed and can be exported to cvs which can then be viewed in excel or whatever.

The negatives I've experienced are:
plug that pulls out of obd2 adapter too easily
initial installation and connections are finicky
(e.g. had to disable ir port on 1 latptop -- when I installed on its replacement I had to go back to original version to do the install, then update to new versions)
The version I have will work with multiple cars (currently using it on 04 gto and 02 jeep wrangler) but to do so I've had to do a new install for each car (and keep the installs/data in separate directories)...not a big deal as it just unzips files into a directory without modifying registries or any of that (almost like the 'good old days' of DOS installs).

I got the scanner on sale in another forum for less than 100 several years ago and the above negatives haven't been enough to cause me to want to switch...well worth what I paid for it.

I'm sure it can do way more than I've outlined -- just haven't take the time to play with it enough to say any more.

That said I would seriously consider the EFI suggestion.

Originally Posted by mc01ta
This sounds like a good tool. Is it a program and you need a laptop? I want a budget priced scan tool that can analize what the car is doing in real time and check codes that may not be setting off a service vehicle light. Can you explain in further detail about this product and how you use it?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Hm -- so you can get to a tuner/editor for 100 plus whatever you pay for the used V6 ??? Cool.

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
or search for a used EFI for sale. better parameters than autotap. Also, if you get v6 standard, u can upgrade to pro for $100, then get a free upgrade to v7
Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

no, not the tuner, just the diagnostic portion. its about another 400 or so for the tuner
Old 11-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks - I had thought that but for a minute it sounded ... too good to be true

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
no, not the tuner, just the diagnostic portion. its about another 400 or so for the tuner
Old 11-10-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

if only it were that easy
Old 11-10-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

so for around $100 I can have diagnostics but not a tuner correct and all I need is a laptop. Any good recommendations where to shop for both? Can the diagnostic portion read trouble codes that do not set the SES light? To be more specific my car is acting like it should throw a light on but it hasn't in 3-4 months. I thought codes could be set but not set off the SES light correct?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

if you're refering to my suggestion, no. You have to pay whatever the seller is asking. If its just v5 or v6 standard, you have to upgrade to pro which is $100. This is for EFILive. do not confuse this with EFILive Flashscan. There is also pcmforless. I think its like 100 bucks.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

My other main question is can codes be thrown without setting off a SES light? What are my options for scanning for codes that havent set off a light? I'm a newb to tuning and NOT reading the sticky right now, i'm at work.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

go to autozone and borrow their actron. it will read the pcm and see if you have any codes.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct... you can have Codes set that do not set an SES... some codes are set to only set an SES if it's detected a second time... some codes just don't set an SES (however most codes that affect performance do provide an SES light)
Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Get a Scanmaster! I have one on my WS6 and Grand National! www.fullthrottlespeed.com
Old 11-11-2005, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Plague
Get a Scanmaster! I have one on my WS6 and Grand National! www.fullthrottlespeed.com

I second that, they are great tool. Mounted mine in the dash so as to stay on lookout for kr...
Old 11-11-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

as far as scan tools, I second or third the EFILive vote. It's the best data loger out there and offers affordable upgrade paths if you decide to move into a more comprehensive tuning package.

If you have the cash to throw at it, I would seriously consider taking the plunge into EFILive's or HPT's full tuning packages. It will save you several days of anxiety while you wait for upgrades.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

I'm liking the scanmaster recommendation. You guys have great luck with it? I'm most interested in something around $300 that can tell me whats going on with the car in real time. I am also most interested in knowing what is not functioning properly that can set codes that don't trigger the SES. Can this tool give those codes?

Search this Thread