Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hptuners not working...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hptuners not working...

ok, ive tried everything i could think of and finally decided that the hptuners box thing they gave me isn't working... does anyone know a way to test and make sure it is/isn't functioning properly? every time i try to connect to the car it can't find the cable... anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by sslow2000
ok, ive tried everything i could think of and finally decided that the hptuners box thing they gave me isn't working... does anyone know a way to test and make sure it is/isn't functioning properly? every time i try to connect to the car it can't find the cable... anyone else have this problem?
Yeah, I went through that last week. It was the cable in my case. But first, have you emailed Ken to help you trouble shoot it? What version are you runing, have you upgraded to V 2.0? Make sure your port settings are correct at 115200.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also... check to see if your cigarette lighter works... if it doesn't then your cig/accy fuse is blown (powers the DLC where you plug the cable in)

Have you emailed support? if not do so
are you using a native serial or a USB adapter? if USB what brand
have you ever been able to get the cable to work?
do you have any pocket PC or palm software running on the computer?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
also... check to see if your cigarette lighter works... if it doesn't then your cig/accy fuse is blown (powers the DLC where you plug the cable in)

LOL..I dont know how many times I popped my Cig/accy/computer port fuse with having a powerhouse laptop runnung using a power inverter on teh cig lighter adapter....
teh dam thing is only drawing like 14 amps....but the electrical laws say that I need a bigger wire than the puny cig lighter wires...so it translates to more hear...and the fuses dont pop from current and amps..the pop from the amount of heat caused by the current and amperage...

I changed from cig lighter to running a power wire directly into the fuse box on teh side of the dash(use one next to a 25amp fuse..not the 10 amp fuse..LOL did that one too..same issue) and a ground wire to a bolt holding the seat down...no problems since then
Old 11-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Launching!

yah i checked the fuse.. and the wire was kinked/broken.. but i soldered it back together and fixed it.. checked with a multimeter and all the wires work.. so thats not the problem.. the thing is that it WAS working and now it's not... so that leads me to believe that something went bad instead of it being software related.. although i will check what you suggested.. i did email hptuners.. but.. no response yet..

i am using a serial to usb adaptor.. but thats not the problem because we ran a decktop computer to the car with an extension cord and it still wouldn't work.. the system wouldn't even connect to my truck (2005 silverado) so that kinda rules out the obd2 port being bad... i also never use a power inverter... so that mostly rules out that blown ACC fuse...

but like i said, ive had hptuners for months now.. it worked great at first... then kinda worked/kinda didnt.. just whenever it wanted...and now it just wont work at all...

if it is the hptuners box do you think they'll replace it?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by sslow2000
yah i checked the fuse.. and the wire was kinked/broken.. but i soldered it back together and fixed it.. checked with a multimeter and all the wires work.. so thats not the problem.. the thing is that it WAS working and now it's not... so that leads me to believe that something went bad instead of it being software related.. although i will check what you suggested.. i did email hptuners.. but.. no response yet..

i am using a serial to usb adaptor.. but thats not the problem because we ran a decktop computer to the car with an extension cord and it still wouldn't work.. the system wouldn't even connect to my truck (2005 silverado) so that kinda rules out the obd2 port being bad... i also never use a power inverter... so that mostly rules out that blown ACC fuse...

but like i said, ive had hptuners for months now.. it worked great at first... then kinda worked/kinda didnt.. just whenever it wanted...and now it just wont work at all...

if it is the hptuners box do you think they'll replace it?
Hummm that sounds very familiar, same kind of thing with mine. They have great cumstomer service and Ken in particular as he is the one that handles the hardware issues. As long as it hasnt' been run over by a truck or something. , I am sure they will replace it if they find something wrong with it when you send it in to them..
Old 11-26-2005, 09:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you probably have a bad cable that goes from Hptuners to the car port...
it only uses 3 or 4 wires I think if i remember correctly...

and I found this

Here's the pinout they list.
>
> PIN DESCRIPTION PIN DESCRIPTION
> 1 Vendor Option
> 2 J1850 Bus +
> 3 Vendor Option
> 4 Chassis Ground
> 5 Signal Ground
> 6 CAN (J-2234) High
> 7 ISO 9141-2 K-Line
> 8 Vendor Option
> 9 Vendor Option
> 10 j1850 BUS
> 12 Vendor Option
> 11 Vendor Option
> 13 Vendor Option
> 14 CAN (J-2234) Low
> 15 ISO 9141-2 Low
> 16 Battery Power
>
>
> J1850 VPW - GM, TOYOTA, LEXUS, ISUZU - Pins 2, 4, 5, 16
>
> So basically I only need pins 2, 4, 5, and 16.
>
> 2 - serial data output
> 4 - chassis ground
> 5 - serial data output
> 16 - constant 12 volts

but I dont know what they correspond to on the cable that goes from PCM port to 9pin

but I know that on your pcm connector in the car you can see that there are only 3 or 4 wires connected to it..and you can use a meter to check for continuity on the cable...
it would atleast help you troubleshoot that...
Old 11-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Launching!

yah... i cut that cable apart and 2 wires were cut... thats the wire i soldered bay together... made sure all cables were connected, then i tested continuity and the cable works perfectly now.. BUT i tried to connect again and still "cable not found"? so... its not the cable.... stupid hptuners.... i guess they'll answer my email monday... i hope...
Old 11-27-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might try hooking up to another car, so that you can rule out your car as the problem. I had a similar situation and it turned out to be the usb port on my laptop.