PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Serial Vats- can it be "turned off"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Serial Vats- can it be "turned off"?

Is there a way to turn of the serial vats on a 2004 6.0L ECM!?
hp tuners didn't work!
Please help!

A little history which brings me to this question!...
I'm swapping a 6.0L into a '72 chevy k5 blazer. This LQ9 came out of an isuzu npr cabover delivery truck.
I converted my lq9 from fly by wire to a throttle cable setup, harness was reworked by current performance as if the harness and computer were a 2004 GTO, and my ecm was supposed to be flashed for a gto (no fly by wire).
After determining its the vats that won't let my engine run for more than 2 or 3 seconds, i towed my truck up to Synergy Motorsports in freemont, where i had my vats turned off with hp tuners, and a few other modifications made.. We got it down to no DTC's, but we were unable to get the engine to fire up.
I'm pretty sure my issue is that the serial vats is not completely disabled.
My research on this site leads me to believe that even though the computer is supposed to think its a gto, it is still looking for a BCM signal, and its not recieving it!?
Is there any way to turn off this serial vats? HP tuners didn't do the trick!?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Last edited by Ryan72; 11-29-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryan72
Is there a way to turn of the serial vats on a 2004 6.0L ECM!?
hp tuners didn't work!
Please help!

A little history which brings me to this question!...
I'm swapping a 6.0L into a '72 chevy k5 blazer. This LQ9 came out of an isuzu npr cabover delivery truck.
I converted my lq9 from fly by wire to a throttle cable setup, harness was reworked by current performance as if the harness and computer were a 2004 GTO, and my ecm was supposed to be flashed for a gto (no fly by wire).
After determining its the vats that won't let my engine run for more than 2 or 3 seconds, i towed my truck up to Synergy Motorsports in freemont, where i had my vats turned off with hp tuners, and a few other modifications made.. We got it down to no DTC's, but we were unable to get the engine to fire up.
I'm pretty sure my issue is that the serial vats is not completely disabled.
My research on this site leads me to believe that even though the computer is supposed to think its a gto, it is still looking for a BCM signal, and its not recieving it!?
Is there any way to turn off this serial vats? HP tuners didn't do the trick!?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks in advance!
Ryan
generally VATS issues will not allow the engine to run for 2-3 secs, it will kick and then immediately die. If you scan the injector pulse width it may give you an idea.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply.

I have confirmed that it was a vats issue at first with it only running for a second or two... My scanner gave me the anti theft DTC, and later when hp tuners was hooked up the vats wasn't turned off with the stock gto program i had in there.
But now its doing the same damn thing with the VATS turned off.

Yes, while we had it on the scope at synergy, rick told me the injector pulse looked weird, like it went almost 100% when it fired up and ran for the first 2 seconds. Then the injector pulse gets cut.
The fuel pump stays on, and fuel psi stays right about 55psi. It always has spark.

Everything i've researched about serial vats makes me believe it is not recieving a signal from the BCM and it cuts the injector pulse a few seconds after starting when it doesn't get that signal!

I really appricate any help you guys can give me, to get this beast running.

Last edited by Ryan72; 11-30-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct on it being a Vats issue. Send me the bin and i will correct it for you.

Hptuner software is not correct on that flag. It is probably not changing the correct stuff to shut it off.

Ill modify your bin and Vats will be shut off for sure.

jessebubb@yahoo.com

Last edited by wait4me; 11-30-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Wow!
Thank You!

I can't get a .bin onto my computer yet..
but when i do i will shoot you an email!
Thanks again for your reply!

Ryan
Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 AM
FormerVendor

yep, seems it is a bug

Send me an email with the file and i can either fix the file or send an update to rick for him to fix it.

Chris...
Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

no problem. If needed you can just ship your computer to me, just cover the 7.70 for exact shipping charge and ill fix it for you free.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wait4me
no problem. If needed you can just ship your computer to me, just cover the 7.70 for exact shipping charge and ill fix it for you free.
Why are you trying to get this guy to send you his PCM at additional cost when we can fix it for him for no cost?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

I was posting it before i even saw you guys posting anything, look at our times of posting..

All i was doing was helping a guy out. Shipping costs are shipping costs. I was just letting it out as an option for him as he said he had no way to put the correct bin in his pcm..
Old 11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gameover
yep, seems it is a bug

Send me an email with the file and i can either fix the file or send an update to rick for him to fix it.

Chris...
Thanks for the response guys, and quick response too!
Gameover: I'm sure Rick and his father in law at synergy would really love to have that update to fix the bug or whatever so he can eliminate this serial vats in the future!!
I spent a good 2.5 hours up there talking with them and brainstorming what to do.. We were all pretty stumped on this one, so i'm sure they'd like to have some closure and knowledge on what to do about this in the future.
They're really cool guys at synergy, I will be back for some dyno tuning when i get it all done with some longtube headers!

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited by Ryan72; 11-30-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, we'll get you guys an update ASAP!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wait4me
I was posting it before i even saw you guys posting anything, look at our times of posting..

All i was doing was helping a guy out. Shipping costs are shipping costs. I was just letting it out as an option for him as he said he had no way to put the correct bin in his pcm..
I understood, and I really appriciate it. I might be contacting you in the near future.

I appriciate everyone trying to help me out here! LS1Tech.com Rocks!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryan72
Thanks for the response guys, and quick response too!
Gameover: I'm sure Rick and his step dad at synergy would really love to have that update to fix the bug or whatever so he can eliminate this serial vats in the future!!
I spent a good 2.5 hours up there talking with them and brainstorming what to do.. We were all pretty stumped on this one, so i'm sure they'd like to have some closure and knowledge on what to do about this in the future.
They're really cool guys at synergy, I will be back for some dyno tuning when i get it all done with some longtube headers!

Thanks again to everyone!
yeah sorry about that, i'm surprised we haven't seen this before although most folks that do LS1 swaps use pre-04 cable throttle PCMs and others that have done full reflashes on 04+ PCMs would use the VATs relink function rather than disabling VATS completely.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So basically what you guys are saying that if someone wants to put a pre 2004 LS1 engine/wire harness into a hotrod or older muscle car, all you have to do is turn the VATS OFF in the PCM and you don't have to worry any more about the chip in the key?

You just select disable or none? I might be tuning one soon and need to know..
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 AM
FormerVendor

engine dyno's do it all the time, they don't even have a key, or a BCM or a car