PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

it says no tuning required but.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it says no tuning required but.......

I want to put in a 224/224 114 cam and they say no tuning is necessary.
What should I plan to change, PCM wise, to get the most out of it.
No other mods on the motor.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

You can customize almost every aspect of your tune. Primarily, you will want to retune your idle and VE table and possibly adjust your MAF table as well as WOT. If you search the topics i just listed, you will find more than enough info to get you thru it.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Even if you are completely stock, you will find benefits in tuning, especially if you do it yourself (...tweak it to the n'th degree...);
there's a steep learning curve, but it's Very rewarding, and knowledge is power (literally).

BTW: your Bimmer (2500 lb) has a very favourable power:weight ratio.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, Ive spent about 6 weeks with efilive and now am pretty happy with the tune, Im stock with most bolt ons and the car goes like its had a new engine. Loads more power everywhere. Thanks to all the guys on the efilive forum and on here too, plus some book reading, lots of logging and plain fun.
Go for it, if you can spare a few hours now and again you will get there and think of all the diagnosis and troubleshooting you can do with the right tools. It will save you loads of cash in the long run.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

All modded cars can benefit from a tune. The main thing for most cam swaps is to reduce the first 3 columns of the VE table for cold and hot starts, usually, 65, 75, 85% should help out a lot.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Bill, that is the information I was looking for. I also got some info that indicated I might need to add some advance for idle and richen up the upper rpm ranges as well. Do you agree? Not looking for specifics just generally.
Pete
Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redmist
Thanks Bill, that is the information I was looking for. I also got some info that indicated I might need to add some advance for idle and richen up the upper rpm ranges as well. Do you agree? Not looking for specifics just generally.
Pete
Depends what timing table you have (year). If you mean adding fuel for WOT, that depends too on the VE table and if the injector scaling is right.

That cam is a great cam to tune, not too many issues. Bump up the whole Idle table by 25-50 rpms. You want to add a little (5-10%) to the Idle air table in the colder areas.

There are many things to tweak but start with those that I have listed.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete
yup you'll probably want to add a little advance, play with the raf table as well as a few other idle tables...like I said you should be able to make that cam sound how you like it with few drivability issues...if you like a little lope just lower the idle...if you want a smooth stock sounding idle just raise it up slightly once you get the other tables done. As far as richening or leaning out it all depends on your starting point...the stock tuning usually commands like 11.5:1 a/f...once you add a cam, or what have you, you might start going lean or maybe not...ever car is different...there are many ways to tackle it. Normally though I would just remap the ve/maf tables then setup your pe once you've got all the other things working as one.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ringram
It will save you loads of cash in the long run.
That's very true.
More cash = more beer
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

I want to put in a 224/224 114 cam and they say no tuning is necessary.
What should I plan to change, PCM wise, to get the most out of it.
No other mods on the motor.
Thanks
A tune will definitely be necessary. It will greatly affect driveability, idle, part throttle, and full throttle power.

Not to mention the fact that it's making great power quite a bit past the stock 6200 rpm rev limiter.

But, a cam shouldn't be your first mod. It's kinda a waste of money if it was. Without supporting mods (intake, exhaust, headers, tuning) I doubt it would be worth the time to put the cam in.