Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OS... EFI Live.. Qs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS... EFI Live.. Qs...

Well, Ive decided I want tuning software for my 04 Z06, so for the last week Ive been going through EFI vs. HPT posts, and I keep reading how EFI live has an advantage over HPtuners because of the custom OS feature and auto tune feature.. Ive tried searching but have come up with nothing as to what this actually means..

With the custom operating system feature, what exactly can be done?

Also, does HPTuner have an Auto Tune feature?

Does one program have the ability to monitor more PIDs?

As far as mods are concerned, all I have right now is a vararam intake and will probably keep it that way...

BTW, if anyone from HP reads this, a demo program would be really nice to play around with..

Thanks for the help..
Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

custom os i think is 1 2 3 bar. not really positive.

yes hp has auto tune, but not called that. it is just sd tuning. same stuff

i think monitoring pids is the same give or take

no demo. its really not needed.

hp seems the easier of the 2 since its all in lamens terms.

just get what is cheaper and what meets your needs. they will both tune your car, the limiting factor will be you and your ability to use the search button. i have used autotap scanner and didnt really like it. hptuner is my choice. they are very helpful. one even helped me out for a couple of hours on a weekend. a big thanks to him.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Custom OS's are like mentioned above, but with extra small tables that are designed for Live users. Both have the ability to autotune.
* Unlimited free use for any Commercial or Workshop license holder. Other vendors charge $1,000's for unlimited 2-bar program licenses, just about the cost of EFILive alone!
* Retains the standard VE table to make the transition from an existing tune to a custom 2-bar tune simple and fast.
* Valet Mode Speed and RPM limiters.
* Dual Spark map adaptive knock control is fully operational even after MAF sensor has been removed. Includes user control over high/low adaptive spark.
* Fuel mixtures can be based entirely on MAP vs RPM with any AFR commanded at any MAP/RPM point.
* Timing reduction table when in boost.
* Uses standard {SAE.MAP} PID in boost, works with any generic scan tool.
* Supports up to 285kPa of boost, almost 3-bar boost.
They update and add on to the custom OS's frequently. They are in the process now of implimenting some N20 settings.

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
hp seems the easier of the 2 since its all in lamens terms.

i have used autotap scanner and didnt really like it.
Both have the tables labeled very close to each other and are very similar in layout, personally I don't see how the termonolgy is an advantage or disadvantage for either. Both require to study and read before attempting to do any tuning.

Autotaps scanner isn't the same as EFI lives. Lives is much more detailed then the autotap version.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TheAngryTitty
With the custom operating system feature, what exactly can be done?
Our 2bar enhancement offers:
- 2bar VE table
- re-enables dual spark map function
- extra boost enrichment table (in addition to regular PE table)
- closed loop disable threshold based on boost (you can trigger when you go into openloop based on boost).
- easy application to your existing PCM operating software.

Also, does HPTuner have an Auto Tune feature?
Yes, we have an AFR % error histogram that allows you to record the error from the AFR the PCM is commanding versus the WBO2 sensor reading. You can then easily apply this error to the VE table using a simple copy/paste feature.

Does one program have the ability to monitor more PIDs?
Not sure of the official count, but both have more than you need.

Cheers,

Chris...
Old 12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot guys... So the custom OS is more for boosted applications, and bascially with this the pcm monitors additional perimeters, that it normally would not?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAngryTitty
Thanks a lot guys... So the custom OS is more for boosted applications, and bascially with this the pcm monitors additional perimeters, that it normally would not?
not necessarily...there are 1 bar custom OS's from both as well...in hptuners software it gives you a couple of extra tables but also gives you full use of the high & low octane tables even while in SD whereas the stock programming will only allow you to use the low octane table while in SD mode. When you say "the pcm monitors additional parameters, that it normally would not?" depends what your talking about...if your talking scanning more things via the scanner then no but if your talking about more tables you can access, modify & use effectively then yes...your wording was a little weird so I wasnt sure which you were aiming at.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Thank you all very much, Im sold on HP.. I loved the interface from the get go but I wasn't sure if I was giving anything up by going with HP.. Seems like you really can't go wrong with either program.. I can't wait to get this thing.. Order being placed today..

Thank you all for answering my questions..

john