PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I take off torque management or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I take off torque management or not?

Hey you guys. Im about to get a tune for my car since all the mods I want are done. The tuner asked me if I want to take off the torque management on my tranny or not. He said that it is a program GM put on A4 cars so that when it shifts the computer pulls timing and fuel so the there won't be too much stress on the tranny so it will last longer. Some people tells me is a good thing to have, and some people tells me that I don't need it. I was justwondering what are you guys opinion on if I should leave it alone or get rid of it. Any info or expierences are greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Well? anybody has any input at all?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Launching!

if you get rid of TM, make sure you have a shift kit first.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque management does reduce engine output during shifts, by reducing ignition timing advance. Totally eliminating it may reduce the transmission life, especially if the engine has been modified. Torque management can be reduced, rather than eliminated, if you want some of the benefit.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Launching!

I am very interested in eliminate some of the TM. Is it a better way to go or is it pointless? How much should I get rid of it if not all of it.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

What about an M6 car?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Launching!

I agree, how about a manual trans???? I've never "felt" it in my street 05', but since I have the capability, should I just write it out?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manual do not have trans TM, only Engine TM. You can effictively remove it from M6s. A4 you can eliminate the Engine TM as well, but I would keep the OEM settings for the Trans TM or just reduce the settings by 50%.

Engine TM pulls timing during shifts. Trans TM reduces output TQ by reducing line pressure. BASICALLY!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
Manual do not have trans TM, only Engine TM. You can effictively remove it from M6s. A4 you can eliminate the Engine TM as well, but I would keep the OEM settings for the Trans TM or just reduce the settings by 50%.

Engine TM pulls timing during shifts. Trans TM reduces output TQ by reducing line pressure. BASICALLY!

I know in later V6 fbodies there is an etc limiter that effectively closes the throttle when you push in the clutch...so even though you might be powershifting your not really powershifting lol. I can only assume gto's & vettes with etc might encounter this problem. I understand thats you may not consider that a TM thing but in the end its definitly robbing you of some power.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I f i have an 4A i would not get rid of Torque management unless u want to rebuild the trans.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TM is BS. reducing line pressure to help the trans live? thats like slipping the clutch on an m6 to get it to live. Whats that going to do? burn up the clutch and slow you down is it not?

Please tell me this, someone, what is the point of modifiying your engine to make more power and keeping any amount of TM in anything to limit the power?

You do all the work to make more power, then let your TM allow your car to use xx% of that power. Whats the point.

Oh wait I know, you want to use a STOCK transmission with a modified engine, does that make sense?
You modify the engine, you need to modify the trans to hold the power.
The following users liked this post:
tonyhuynh11 (08-24-2023)
Old 12-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Launching!

What exactly does the Engine TM do? and Would it be a good idea to get rid of it on a A4 car?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

ive got a basic bolton car with 106k miles.. I took it off and now im having to rebuild the trans
Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gccasper04
ive got a basic bolton car with 106k miles.. I took it off and now im having to rebuild the trans
If you got 106K out of a auto that's a good to great life span!!
Hawk
Old 12-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Teching In

torque managment does exactly what it says.I learned the hard way. If you play you pay.The stock 4l60e will lose the 3-4 clutches eventually on a stock motor if you remove T/M you will just do that a little sooner on a modded motor.I have DR.EVIL MAX EVIL and go 10:21 at 131 and have even had to rebuild that from leaving the car in O.D. while in the water burnout box ALWAYS put the trans in 2nd to do burnouts to protect the sprag from desruction. Since then 2 years of trouble free passes.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Teching In

And then you get to purchase your Moser 12 BOLT. The two weak points.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while in the water burnout box ALWAYS put the trans in 2nd to do burnouts to protect the sprag from desruction.
Would that be the forward sprag? Must be, it's the only sprag in a 4L60E.
Now how does putting it in second save the forward sprag? Yes it does engage the two 4"-5" over run clutches but are they enough to save the sprag? No...IMO.

Also IMO a properly built transmission will live just fine without TM.
Theres more to it than this I'm sure. When a tuner goes in to delete TM what else do they do? Maybe no one knows, maybe this is what destroys thye trans, the thinking that deleting TM may not be such a good idea so they go ahead and screw around with other transmission related tuning areas.

I deleted my TM 100% for 5,000 miles, then took the trans apart to upgrade. Didn't notice anything unusual.
Now with an upgraded trans and no TM on anything I beat the hell out of it, no problems.
And if it does break who cares, I'll build another one.

I always like to mention the fact that these 4L60E's are the same as the 700R4's except for the valve body and electronics.
How come you can modify the hell out of an engine in front of a 700 (that wouldn't know what TM was) and when it fails it's usually the same parts that are failing in the 4L60E's. Yea, TM is there to prevent these failures but you have two choices. 1. build more power in your engine and let TM take it away to protect the fragile transmission, or 2. build a transmission that will handle the power you paid for. Wouldn't you want to use 100% of the power you paid for or let TM be the judge and let you use 80% or less of it. If thats the case why modify the engine.

I don't see the point of keeping TM in a high performance car, if you think about it, it makes no sense.
It's like racing with the traction control on, anyone do that? Probably not.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Trans TM reduces output TQ by reducing line pressure. BASICALLY!
This statement is incorrect .

Trans torque reduction works by reducing engine torque.

If your trans and axle are built, then remove TM;
If your trans and axle are factory, then reduce TM some (change, test, repeat).
If you paid too much for tires and want to get mileage from them, leave TM.

Last edited by joecar; 12-20-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Teching In

On a stock motor the T/M is hardly noticable. But on a modded motor. The car will feel like you slammed on the brakes during the shifts, so you have to remove it.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why in the world would anyone what to have torque managment. If you are trying to make your car faster and perform better why would you purposely slow it down on the shift.

Quick Reply: Should I take off torque management or not?