Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading your OS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrading your OS?

I am interested in purchasing either HP Tuners or EFI Live. I have downloaded the demo of EFI and a couple of bins and it seems prety straightforward so far. I read that it recommends upgrading the OS to a 2001-2002. Mine is a 1999. What do you have to do to upgrade it?
Right now I have a tune in it for the mods in my car,including the th400 trans. I am not sure if the tuner used a A4 tune or a M6. I was getting some SES about the A4 trans afterwards, so I am guessing he used a A4 tune in it. .
If I did upgrade to a 01-02, would I loose my current tune? Would it be possible for me to just save it on EFI live, then mess with a 01-02 SD tune, save that, then upload the original tune again so I can drive the car? I am guessing it might take me a while to get things right at first.

And last but not least..I am not asking which is better. But, which one would be a little easier for a newbe to get started with SD tuning? Does HP tuner have a demo that can be downloaded as well?

Last edited by Jimmy P; 12-18-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

The Guys that purchase Efilive software Thru me, get all the tech support you would ever need. Including a starter file that will make it run smooth. It takes alot of the learning time out of any software...

Guys even send me efilive logs and i can use that information just like i was sitting in your car.

As far as your os upgrade stuff, yes you can save your original file and always go back to your old files, It also keeps a complete history of every change you make so you can keep track also.. Jes
Old 12-18-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your reply. Is it something major to change your OS, or is it prety much straight forward using your same pcm?
Another thing that I was wondering... How limited are you with how many cars you can tune without buying licenses? I think with HP Tuners, lets say your car is a 99 F-body, you can tune as many other 99 F-bodys as you like. Does this work the same way with EFI Live?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Thanks for your reply. Is it something major to change your OS, or is it prety much straight forward using your same pcm?
Another thing that I was wondering... How limited are you with how many cars you can tune without buying licenses? I think with HP Tuners, lets say your car is a 99 F-body, you can tune as many other 99 F-bodys as you like. Does this work the same way with EFI Live?
changing the os on 99+00 cars is as simple as a full OS rewrite which would take less then 3 mins in most cases. As far as efi lives licensing its locked to the pcm. You get 2 pcm licenses upon your order & each pcm license there after is $99. Hptuners gives you two year locked licenses rather so you can tune as many of those years as you choose, but its $199 for each additional year license.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hptuners gives you two year locked licenses rather so you can tune as many of those years as you choose,
That sounds like a deal and a half, and the free updates part is nice to.

About the OS change. Since I will use HP Tuners on a 99, and then rewrite it to a 01-02 OS, will HP Tuners see that as being 2 different cars?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are interested in Cusotm OS's which it sounds like you are EFILve offers 1 bar 2 bar and 3 bar SD packages, valet mode and a few other features that are free, you just have to purchase commercial which you will be doing anyways. Also cooming soon is a notrous custoom os for the guys that are spraying. check out www.efilive.com/forum for more information on the custom Os that may suit you in case you ever did want to try it.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like a deal and a half, and the free updates part is nice to.

About the OS change. Since I will use HP Tuners on a 99, and then rewrite it to a 01-02 OS, will HP Tuners see that as being 2 different cars?
If you wanted to change to an 01 or 02 OS you would need to get a license for your 99 as well as either the 01 or 02 fbody license, or if your considering doing SD tuning you could get whatever 2nd license you wanted & purchase either a 1/2/3 bar license from hptuners. Really updating to a new OS isnt a necessity...usually the only reason people do it is to rid themself of the secondary ve table. Most end up going the custom OS route whether efilive or hptuners so you not only use only the primary ve, but you get use of BOTH the high/low octane tables as well as all the other stuff added into the cutom OS's
Old 12-18-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

usually the only reason people do it is to rid themself of the secondary ve table.
So mainly its to get rid of the secondary ve table? Is tuning easier without this table?

And..What is the main differance between the EFI personal license and the commercial license? They dont realy state it in their website.
That nitrous OS looks nice. Will they be finishing it up soon? It would nice to lower the timing and richen the AFR by clicking on a switch.
thanks a lot guys
Old 12-18-2005, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So mainly its to get rid of the secondary ve table? Is tuning easier without this table?

And..What is the main differance between the EFI personal license and the commercial license? They dont realy state it in their website.
That nitrous OS looks nice. Will they be finishing it up soon? It would nice to lower the timing and richen the AFR by clicking on a switch.
thanks a lot guys

The personal version doesnt allow full rewrites the commercial version does in addition to pcm locking. Send wait4me a PM he will answer any questions you have about the software and your options
Old 12-18-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks a lot guys
It will be ready soon. It is going to be really nice. If all goes well, they are also implimenting N20 specific features that haven't even been mentioned yet.