PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a few Mods to my car...SD Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a few Mods to my car...SD Mode?

I have a ported TB and a High Flow air bridge on the way. Would it matter if the car was in SD before I added the mods? Or should I wait to install them, and then put the car into SD Mode?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

It wouldn't matter what your tune was before, SD or MAF enabled...

Adding the new parts will change your VE and MAF values somewhat so put it in SD and start logging LTRIMS or wideband (in SD with MAF off) to make the correction to VE once the new parts are on.

Then once VE is dialed in, log/correct MAF table or leave the MAF off and run it in SD on just your newly dialed-in VE table.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

what he said. im going to be putting in new o2's. i know those are going to throw it off..not by much. im also ordering a wideband so that should help out alot!
let us know how it goes Jason.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

As a side note to others who may be reading, tuning is not at all REQUIRED for a ported TB and any kind of CAI. Those mods don't require retuning although greater gains might be obtained by doing so.

He is redoing his tuning anyway which is why I recommended changing the VE and MAF tables.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad30th
It wouldn't matter what your tune was before, SD or MAF enabled...

Adding the new parts will change your VE and MAF values somewhat so put it in SD and start logging LTRIMS or wideband (in SD with MAF off) to make the correction to VE once the new parts are on.

Then once VE is dialed in, log/correct MAF table or leave the MAF off and run it in SD on just your newly dialed-in VE table.

Rob (Bad30th)

Cool! Thanks Rob.

I was wondering, once I get my VE dialed in with my new mods...if you would mind giving a hand with dialing in the MAF?

Last edited by Blown Interceptor; 12-23-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
what he said. im going to be putting in new o2's. i know those are going to throw it off..not by much. im also ordering a wideband so that should help out alot!
let us know how it goes Jason.

I wish I could get a W/B...that should help alot.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown Interceptor
Cool! Thanks Rob.

I was wondering, once I get my VE dialed in with my new mods...if you would mind giving a hand with dialing in the MAF?
Sure, I'll help ya for a 12 pack of Miller Lite. It's basically the same thing as adjusting VE by LTRIMS, only once the VE is spot on and you turn the MAF back on, the AFR variation has to be coming from the MAF table, which you adjust in the same fashion (only it's a lot quicker since there's only one row of data instead of a checkerboard !).

I'll show you how to use the MAF spreadsheet too.

Having a wideband and EIO makes it even faster to calibrate the MAF table - the HPT wideband MAF AFR error % histogram makes it real easy to paste in the corrections.

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 12-23-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Sure, I'll help ya for a 12 pack of Miller Lite. It's basically the same thing as adjusting VE by LTRIMS, only once the VE is spot on and you turn the MAF back on, the AFR variation has to be coming from the MAF table, which you adjust in the same fashion (only it's a lot quicker since there's only one row of data instead of a checkerboard !).

I'll show you how to use the MAF spreadsheet too.

Having a wideband and EIO makes it even faster to calibrate the MAF table - the HPT wideband MAF AFR error % histogram makes it real easy to paste in the corrections.

Rob (Bad30th)

12 Pack coming up! Bottles or cans?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Haha, cans please - bottles don't fit too well in the mini-fridge in my garage.

I'm off all next week so PM me when you get the VE table close (or call me on my cell) and we'll give it a go !

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Rob, do you set your maf fail freq to 0, but have it plugged in to log it? what pids did you add to your chart to log for the maf in order to use the spreadsheet? Im in the same boat as Jason. Ben showed me how to do the maf, but i already forgot
Old 12-24-2005, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

No - plug it in and set fail freq back to 16k, you need the MAF Hz logged to calibrate the new MAF table.

Once the VE is right on the money, you plug in and re-enable the MAF, log MAF Hz, dynamic air (and since I have the wideband I logged AFR Commanded Hi Res to map the MAF AFR error %). Since the VE is not affecting the actual vs. desired AFR, we're measuring the difference caused by the MAF table vs. desired and correcting the MAF curve to match desired afr.

The spreadsheet bases it on summary averages, the MAF AFR Error % histogram does the same thing only instead of creating a new calibration and pasting it in (ala spreadsheet) with the wideband you apply the AFR Error percentages (like you did with VE) to the existing MAF table.

Make sense ?

Uh oh, there goes my 12-pack LOL.

On a side note - just saw the Chargers get eliminated from the playoffs by the Chiefs. Merry XMas everybody.

Rob (Bad30th)