Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cluster air bag light! Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cluster air bag light! Help

I did a search and nothing exact. I just installed a new cluster in my 99 camaro. I matched up yrs and made sure everything was exact. My tach is finally right! But solving one problem only created another. My new cluster has the air bag light that wont go off. The dealer wants me to bring it to them and charge me $60 Just to look at it. My old cluster's air bag light came on when you turned the key and went off when the car started so i know it wasnt burnt out. What can cause this and any suggestions on how to fix it? I know one guy that will prob. have an immediate answer because he is just a whiz at anything electronic on an FBODY!. Im jealous foff667. Thanks for all your previous help!
(Air Bag)
Things I have tryed include
Unplugging the batter for 45 min.
Pulling airbag fuse.
(A lot of people doing header installes say you can break the clock spring and cause the light to come on.) Would this be a possibility since i adjusted the wheel up and down a few times to get the cluster in? Just a few thoughts.
Thanks guys
Jeff
Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That suckers on there to stay, only way to fix that is pull the cluster and take the LED out of the back that is for that particular light. The error code for that is in the BCM and not the PCM, so you cant turn it off with our tuning software.

Chris
Old 12-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

i'm not 100% positive about this but i was told when you swap out the cluster for another it must be synched to the bcm with a tech2 programer....dealer replaced my cluster.They claimed its a hub for the PCM-BCM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would go off if you reset the BCM but of course you have to have a tech 2 for that. Not 100% sure on this one! Maybe the BCM is thinking something is wrong since you have a new IP cluster and it is freaking out.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Launching!

If the dealer changed it, take that thing back there and scream at them and tell em to fix it, say u brought it there with everything working fine.! I'd be pissed.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

The cluster has to be synchronized with the air bag module and PCM. You can do this with a Tech 2. I had this same problem but luckily I have a tech 2 was able to do it myself.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any ideas where i can get my hands on a tech II w/o paying a dealer right off the bat?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

If you send me the cluster, i can program them for you, You just have to cover shipping.

The cause is because of the vin that is stored in the cluster.

The airbag modual is requesting that the vin matches all the bcm and the cluster.

All that is needed is for the vin to be updated.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wait4me
If you send me the cluster, i can program them for you, You just have to cover shipping.

The cause is because of the vin that is stored in the cluster.

The airbag modual is requesting that the vin matches all the bcm and the cluster.

All that is needed is for the vin to be updated.
Excellant!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I think if you turn the car on and off a bunch of times it will fix itself. Turn it on for 5 mintues, off for 15 seconds, back on. Cycle about 10 times. That is how I fixed my IP cluster and BCM. None of my stuff is from the same car. I had the dealer check it with a Tech 2 and they said everything matched up.

The airbag light will go off if you fix the problem. Does it blink 7 times and stay on or just it just come on?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a guy here at Souther Illinois University carbondale that can get the tech II programmer from auto shop. Is there anything specific on how to use it or how to get my air bag light and security light to go off?
Thanks for all the help guys.
Jeff

Quick Reply: New cluster air bag light! Help