PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Readiness Codes for OBD-II Inspections?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP. Readiness Codes for OBD-II Inspections???

I have recently aquired a 2002 TransAm WS-6... It has 10,0xx mi. and I am basically new to the F-body world.

I went to inspect it today for the first time in North Carolina.(We are OBD-II compliant now!!!)

EVAP system is apparently staying in Closed Loop mode???(according to Emissions Computer...

Tried all the driving at medium consistant speed and idling prior to testing 3 times..

Anyone have any input?? Apparently there are updates from GM for the Cadillacs with similar Readiness System problems specific to Inspections.

Thanks
WILL

Last edited by BigWillieStyle_21; 01-01-2006 at 11:08 PM. Reason: More Specific....
Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Anybody have any problems getting their's inspected in a Fed. Emissions OBD-II state or county????

Not the sniffer for the exhuast.. Where they hook up to the OBD port and read from the PCM whether all the emissiosn equipment is workign within correct tolerances..

Its apparently a Cadillac and Camaro-TransAm problem for 1998+...

Thanks
WILL
Old 12-31-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I got out of NC before they started this. They're just reading the PCM for any codes right? First thing if you're not throwing a SES light is make sure the car is "hot" when you get it inspected. www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html may help too. Even if you don't have an SES light bring it somewhere and have any codes read (current or history) for anything EVAP related. You shouldn't have any problems at all passing with only 10K on the car.

Last edited by 2001NBMZ28; 12-31-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Teching In

It reads for DTC's set and the MIL being Commanded on/off by the PCM... I am the inspector, we are an emission test site at mine and my dad's shop!!!!
Then it dials the DMV to transmit the response from the PCM to the Diagnostic Computer instantly.

I have run it 4 times now.. twice after 20 minute drives... Still can't get the EVAP and Secondary Fuel system to set their Readiness Codes no matter what, COLD or HOT....

I am going to again tommorow afternoon when I have time to play with it cold again... I can look in my emissiosn catalog and for 2001 F-body w/ 5.7 it doesn't show a readiness procedure, but 2002 it does... It shows updates for the Cadillacs threw the Tech-II from the GM Mainframe...

Hell if I know at this point!!!

THANKS
WILL
Old 01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a couple general articles about OBDII readiness issues:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...5/ai_n15875054
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...4/ai_n11829961 (also at http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/art....jsp?id=154403 )

Exactly what DTCs are set?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

No DTC's... Just trying to get it to pass inspection for North Carolina.. Its not failing its just gettign denied becuase the EVAP and Secondary Fuel Readiness Monitors aren't being set for the Diagnostic Port to verify!!!

Emissiosn Catalog says: Run at Constant throttle between 40-50 mph and then idle for 2-3 minutes... Then re-test.. Didn't work!!!!

Good articles, THANKS!!! but, unfortunately already tried most of this stuff.. Fuel Level, Fuel Cap, etc...

THANKS
WILL
Old 01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Well tried it again.. This time during the pre-inspection screen it came back once again as 5000 Cubic Centimeters.. Instead of manually entering 5.7 litre, 350 cu. in. etc... we left it as 5000 CC and came back once again..

- Readiness for EVAP and Secondary Air not completed... This was on a 100% cold-test.. We ahev decided to let it sit and try again..

Verified Fuel cap,and Fuel level between 25-75%.. Everything comes back clean.. NO DTC, No MIL illuminated...

Car runs and drives great, NO issues. Readiness Controls will just not set for those 2 systems..

Any ideas at this point are greatly appreciated!!\

THANKS
WILL
Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think I've *EVER* seen my EVAP monitor show "ready".. 2nd air should needs a couple cold starts and complete drive cycles to set, but should set pretty readily.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Could you please explain, 2nd Air on these motors a bit more BRAINS???

I have no prior experience with them, so any input to get either one of these would leave just the 1 readiness monitor unset, but will definately let me inspect it...

Do you think 2nd Air isn't being set becuase this car until resently has been a 1-day a month driver??? If that???

Its really starting to get frustrating at this point... I have to head out of town tommorow to take a Mercedes to the stearlership with a friend who doesn't want to be ripped off, so I am riding along to try and listen to what they try to swing at him. Hopefully I won't come back Wednesday to Pouring rain and can run ti some throughout the day to try and get it to set.

THANKS again....
Old 01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Ah, this should help

Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) AIR System Set Procedure

Description

The purpose of this test is to satisfy the enable criteria that are necessary in order to execute the I/M readiness diagnostics for the secondary air injection (AIR) system. Use this test in order to set the I/M System Status to YES. Before you perform this test, ensure that the vehicle meets the requirements listed in the Conditions for Running. Failure to meet the necessary requirements may produce inaccurate test results.

Conditions for Running

Passive Test
- The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 70-110°C (158-230°F).
- The intake air temperature (IAT) is between 2-100°C (36-212°F).
- The battery voltage is more than 11.7 volts.
- The Active Test, if required, begins after the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control.

Active Test
- The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 70-110°C (158-230°F).
- The intake air temperature (IAT) is more than 2°C (36°F).
- The engine is operating in Closed Loop Fuel Control.
- The battery voltage is more than 11.7 volts.

Diagnostic Aids

The AIR pump generally operates once per ignition cycle, usually during the initial start-up, before the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control. Some systems will perform a Passive Diagnostic Test at this time. The Active Diagnostic Test is performed after the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control. On vehicles that perform a Passive Test, the Active Test will only run if the Passive Test fails, or if the test is indeterminate. The Active Test may not run if the Passive Test passes.

If the diagnostic test does not run, observe the fuel trim correction. If the fuel trim correction is more than plus or minus 4 percent, the AIR System Test may not run. If the status does not update, the test outlined in this procedure can be repeated until the I/M System Status updates to YES.

The I/M System Status does not indicate whether the test has passed or failed, only that a decision was made. When all of the diagnostics for a specific system have run and passed, the I/M System Status will update to YES. If a test for a specific system has failed, the I/M System Status will update to YES, indicating a determination was made, even if all of the required tests have not run. When a failure occurs, the Emission Related DTC portion of the I/M System Status display will indicate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is requested. The I/M System Status also registers the number of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

The first failure of a type B DTC does not constitute a final determination of pass or fail, and will not update the I/M System Status to YES. A second trip is required, and all the conditions to run must be met in order for the test to run again. These conditions may include a partial to complete engine cool down.

The I/M System Status will update only when an emission related DTC fails the second time, or when all of the tests pass.

If there is an impending failure, the system may require more time to run the diagnostic than was allotted in the set procedure. If the test does not run after numerous attempts and no DTC is set, review the appropriate scan tool data list and the service information for an indication of why the test does not complete. Some tests may abort due to changes in the conditions while the test is running. For example, changes in engine load, such as a cooling fan or an A/C compressor clutch turning ON, may cause the test to abort.

If a diagnostic test is difficult to run, maintain necessary enable conditions until the system status updates to YES.

The AIR Tests will begin shortly after the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control. Some vehicles perform a Passive Test during Open Loop operation shortly after a cold start-up.

1. Ensure that the vehicle is within the Conditions for Running, specified in the supporting text.
2. Turn OFF all of the accessories, including the A/C and the blower fan.
3. Start the engine, and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.
4. Acceleration at part throttle to 72 km/h (45 mph), with this speed maintained for 3 minutes or until the I/M System Status indicator updates to YES.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Teching In

More good tips... THANKS

The rains of hell have stopped here, so I am about to get it out of the shop and try again...

I'll be back on later with results..

THANKS
WILL
Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Well... Finally got that S.O.B to set Readiness for EVAP and Second AIR. O2 Sensor Heater was showing Not Complete, but ewverything else set.

THANKS guys, after a 28 mi. drive cycle on the local by-pass that ya'll recommended above apparently got it..

BIG
Old 01-04-2006, 07:04 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Congrats

Quick Reply: Readiness Codes for OBD-II Inspections?