Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled TB causing idle rpm to be to high? Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled TB causing idle rpm to be to high? Need help

When I had my car dyno tuned, they drilled my throttle body. I asked them not to but they did it anyway and said that the car wouldn't be able to hold an idle without it drilled. Now it idles at around 1300 rpm and I'm sick of it. It's a cam only car, the cam is an F14 on 112 lsa in an a4. I think the car would have idled just fine. I don't mind if it's a little choppy, I actually like it. I liked how it idled better before the tune. The car has never died and almost never surges. Now my question is, if I just put in a stock throttle body will it bring my idle down without causing problems? I think this cam will be just fine on a lower idle, I just don't know if replacing the throttle body will even bring it down a noticable amount. Or would it be better to have it tuned down to a lower idle? I need to get retuned for my 4.10's but everytime I ask them to bring down the idle they say they will and never do. So either they forget, can't tune or just can't get it any lower because the throttle body is already drilled. I know there are some good tuners on here so figured I would see what you guys think.
TIA
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the throttle body off and find a rivit that fits in the hole, and install it (make sure you remove throttle body to do it, sometimes rivits have a rod that shoot out of them, and could fall into intake if you do it installed.

put the TB back on and see for your self how it responds...

if you have a spare extra TB just put it on and see how it works, 3 bolts, 2 lines doesnt take any time at all the change one.

good luck.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rufretic
When I had my car dyno tuned, they drilled my throttle body. I asked them not to but they did it anyway and said that the car wouldn't be able to hold an idle without it drilled. Now it idles at around 1300 rpm and I'm sick of it. It's a cam only car, the cam is an F14 on 112 lsa in an a4. I think the car would have idled just fine. I don't mind if it's a little choppy, I actually like it. I liked how it idled better before the tune. The car has never died and almost never surges. Now my question is, if I just put in a stock throttle body will it bring my idle down without causing problems? I think this cam will be just fine on a lower idle, I just don't know if replacing the throttle body will even bring it down a noticable amount. Or would it be better to have it tuned down to a lower idle? I need to get retuned for my 4.10's but everytime I ask them to bring down the idle they say they will and never do. So either they forget, can't tune or just can't get it any lower because the throttle body is already drilled. I know there are some good tuners on here so figured I would see what you guys think.
TIA

That sounds like a certain somebody.. Funny they can accomplish much better results if they just learn to tune the idle instead of drilling everyones throttle body.

How about taking the throttle body off to a welder..I want to say the butterflies are probally steel???? They can weld up the hole and you can grind it back flat.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

I used liquid weld to plug my hole.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like drastic action, perhaps immodium would have been less invasive
Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ringram
Sounds like drastic action, perhaps immodium would have been less invasive
hahaha, Is that what you did, immodium (whatever the hell that is), hahaha
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont get doesnt the stockt-body bring a small whole?and ive been told u drill that whole a bit bigger ,why will u cover it up?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

In my case, I drilled the stock sized hole bigger, plugged it up and redrilled another stock sized hole because I was able to fix my idle problem with tuning, and I no longer needed the bigger hole.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. A lot of suggestions but I already bought a stock throttle body so I'm just going to swap plates. I just want to know if this will bring the idle down or does it have to be adjusted with tunning? My car is in storage so I can't just do it and find out. I have to wait till spring so I just wanted to get some opinions on if the drilled throttle body is causing it to idle so high or if they raised it with tunning and only tunning will be able to bring it back down?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Putting the stock plate back might be a good start to getting your idle the way you want it, but you'll probably need to do tuning too, VE table, add a little timing, and another table that controls IAC.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Did you do the tuning yourself? I wish I could, tuning and welding are the only things I don't do myself.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

I had help with the idle tuning, but I've got it figured-out after seeing the changes the tuner made.

Tuning and welding are two skills that you use over and over messing with these cars. You got to start somewhere. The guys here will lead you in the right direction if you want to learn how to tune, and MIG welding is pretty easy for small jobs. I got a Craftsman welder that's great for the small jobs I do. As an example, when I install my 12-bolt, I'll tack weld the sway bar u-bolts so they don't spin on me. The last time I used it was tacking on Hooker exhaust tips (the built-in clamps didn't hold). Welding comes in handy. When I bought my welder, I also bought a book about basic welding techniques, at Sears.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
Thanks for the help guys. A lot of suggestions but I already bought a stock throttle body so I'm just going to swap plates. I just want to know if this will bring the idle down or does it have to be adjusted with tunning? My car is in storage so I can't just do it and find out. I have to wait till spring so I just wanted to get some opinions on if the drilled throttle body is causing it to idle so high or if they raised it with tunning and only tunning will be able to bring it back down?

If you are only looking to adjust the 'size' of the hole that they drilled in your throttle body, You could plug the existing hole with a hex key set screw and then drill a smaller diameter hole in the middle if you need it. With the set screw plugging the large hole that they drilled, you could either fill the hole completely or make it smaller (reduce the airflow). Locktite should keep the set screw from moving around any (or epoxy). This fix could be done for less than $1.00 at most hardware stores. Set screws are cheap...

Hope I helped some... I was trying.
James