Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD and nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD and nitrous

I use HPTuners and I currently have the MAF sensor unplugged and I am just running in a speed density mode. I do not plan on plugging the sensor back because the car runs fine without and I am not interested in tuning the MAF table. My question is about spraying on this SD tune. It is a wet shot obviously, considering the lack of a device capable of measuring the extra air. I can't think of a reason why it should matter in any negative sense, but some feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a wet shot you don't need the maf. If it's a dry shot you need the maf to sense the nitrous and add fuel.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The other thing you don't get, is the "free timing pull"
that you'd get from the MAF sensing higher air mass
(MAP knows nothing about cols, wet shot is aft of the
IAT, so it's all a mystery as far as the PCM is concerned).
Might look at the timing end before you go for a big shot.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thanks jimmyblue for the insight on timing. What are your thoughts (with my current modifications) on me running a 150 shot with race gas? How should I approach messing with my timing? Logging with the histogram?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in SD and I spray iit regularly. If it is a wet shot, you don't need a MAF. As far as timing - you have to pull it (either in the tune or with an external device - i.e. timing tuner) for a wet shot anyway - the MAF won't help you pull timing on a wet shot even if you have it in use. And without the MAF, the PCM uses calculated grams/cyl to determine where to be on the timing tables.

Since you have HP Tuners, you can just make up a nitrous tune to use when you want to spray it - pulling some timing. You can run it all of the time if you want, you'll just be down a little power on the motor from the lack of timing.