Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sticking" idle after burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Sticking" idle after burnout?

When at the track, after I do a burnout, the idle hangs at around 1500-2000 rpms. It continues to do this even after I come to a complete stop. I have an M6. If I use the clutch to get the RPMs back down, they stay where they're supposed to. I am just curious as to what table I need to adjust to fix this. I've checked throttle cracker enable/disable. I don't wanna just go experimenting. It did this BEFORE my cam also. TIA.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

I think it is caused by the throttle follower and the fact that the car isn't moving or moving very slowly during burnouts. The stock decay delay values are a few seconds at very low speeds, like below 5 mph. So even though your off the gas, the ecm is waiting a couple seconds before it decays the follower airflow. try setting the decay to a lower number like 1 second or so and see if it shortens this, it should.
I changed the delay around, tried no delay also. With no delay it wouldn't hang at all, but the rpms fell too fast and the engine would stall. You can probobly find a nice middle ground that won't hang too much yet keep it from falling too fast.

Last edited by 87Fake; 01-09-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that the car doesn't know you're not moving because your tires are spinning, and the vss is on the output shaft. So it's using throttle cracker cells for higher speeds. Or did you already try zeroing out your throttle cracker? I'm not sure what you meant by "checked the enable/disable".
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Sheet, didn't even think about that. not the the follower then, well at least to a much lesser extent. P Mack is right.
Do you mean you have disabled the cracker altogether and it still hangs?
Stock cracker values are 12 g/s in the higher rpm/mph cells, your probobly getting into these during burnouts. Try lowering these. I've cut mine in half to 6 while leaving the rest of the table close to stock.