PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate are the knock sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How accurate are the knock sensors?

My car bucks ever so slightly under a few low RPM, real light throttle combinations. My VE table is dialed in almost perfectly so I've just been increasing the timing for those cells. This has been working perfectly so far and has cured me of 95% of my bucking. The thing is a lot of the cells are into the mid 40's, with a few being somewhere around 48. I've been religiously logging KR and I've never had a single degree pulled down low (had 1 or 2 pulled up top at WOT). I was planning on adding a few more degress timing to some cells until the bucking is completely gone. My question is assuming I'm not getting any KR and I can't hear signs of knock, is this safe (i.e. can I safely assume there is no detonation going on)? All the cells I add timing to are under 2000RPM and 32g/cyl so I'm not too concerned about power loss, I just don't want the engine to be slightly detonating (if there is such a thing) and not know about it.

When I get home in the summer I'm planning on putting the car on Synergy's steady state dyno to find out the optimum timing, but for now I was just going to settle for some lost power.