Sponsored by:

Speed density tune...can someone explain

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed density tune...can someone explain

What it is?

How is it different than an LS1Edit type tune?

Is it better to do it this way?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

What I think happens is when you start to tune a car with a certain amount of power, the MAF cant read it past 1 bar accurate, so fuel/air combo will be a little fucked up and not as accurate making it harder to tune.

With an SD tune I think you have certain "tables" that you rely on to use instead of a device that measures air.

Im not too familiar with it, just some random things Ive heard from.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed Density, is where you remove the MAF, and just go by the MAP sensor, to guess, or predict the airflow coming into the motor, instead of using a sensor designed to measure airflow.

LS1 edit, HPtuners, EFI Live, Tuner Cat, and others are just different software packages that allow you to tune the vehicle. You can do speed density tuning with any of them that allow access to the VE tables.

The maf doesn't have a problem reading more than 1 bar, it is just measuring airflow. There is a pcm limit of 512 g/sec though.

Ryan
Old 01-13-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slow
Speed Density, is where you remove the MAF, and just go by the MAP sensor, to guess, or predict the airflow coming into the motor, instead of using a sensor designed to measure airflow.

LS1 edit, HPtuners, EFI Live, Tuner Cat, and others are just different software packages that allow you to tune the vehicle. You can do speed density tuning with any of them that allow access to the VE tables.

The maf doesn't have a problem reading more than 1 bar, it is just measuring airflow. There is a pcm limit of 512 g/sec though.

Ryan
So can I go get my car tuned using SD right now if I wanted to? It would run perfect? Figure 500/500 RWHP/RWTQ N/A.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Junkie

take a look at the link in my sig.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:40 AM
Teching In

I dont know why SD tuning is so rare in the US. The majority of cars tuned in Australia use this method. Some get a Maf tune first but soon upgrade to Mafless.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VooDooo
I dont know why SD tuning is so rare in the US. The majority of cars tuned in Australia use this method. Some get a Maf tune first but soon upgrade to Mafless.
my take on it is this...austrailia for one doesnt have huge variances in climate I assume, thats number one. Number two alot of cars built in austrailia come stock with no maf if im not mistaken. Number 3 cars in america might be built in canada & then sent to florida so they have to be able to run pretty much the same in all climates which is one thing SD has a slightly harder time doing in some cases.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:03 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Quickin
What it is?

How is it different than an LS1Edit type tune?

Is it better to do it this way?

If your running a big cam I would do it. I tried to keep my MAF last year and my car didn't do well at idle or slow speeds. I needed a SD tune!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
If your running a big cam I would do it. I tried to keep my MAF last year and my car didn't do well at idle or slow speeds. I needed a SD tune!!!!
I have a 242/242 .610/.610 114 lsa It idles like a stock LS1, zero lope, no shaking at all.

Maybe I need a much bigger cam
Old 01-14-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Im running SD on my car. right now its just to get used to tuning in SD, but when i put in my cam, it will allow me to tune a bit more accurately, as long as i keep up with it.

FYI, Cyrsler doesn't have a maf on a decent number of their cars(i know the hemis). they run SD, but they also have widebands. that is what makes it work for various climates
Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I have a 242/242 .610/.610 114 lsa It idles like a stock LS1, zero lope, no shaking at all.

Maybe I need a much bigger cam
You do! My cam was a 275-286 .735-.715 @ 112+3 . Try to tune that one with a MAF! I just pulled that one out to put a real cam in it!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Default SD Tune

I'm currently tuning using the SD meathod. I had the car running, shut her down and went SD. I started to tune my VE tables.... done a few normal driving runs. I shut her down and she cooled off.... I took off my wideband, and thought I would continue the tuning in the morning. Next day, she started rough, really rough. I shut her down.. figured I'd tune another day.... now she won't start, seems I've fouled all my plugs... she is running so rich. As it stands, I gotta replace my plugs and mybe my 02's...... I wish I knew what I was doing!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by koji777
I'm currently tuning using the SD meathod. I had the car running, shut her down and went SD. I started to tune my VE tables.... done a few normal driving runs. I shut her down and she cooled off.... I took off my wideband, and thought I would continue the tuning in the morning. Next day, she started rough, really rough. I shut her down.. figured I'd tune another day.... now she won't start, seems I've fouled all my plugs... she is running so rich. As it stands, I gotta replace my plugs and mybe my 02's...... I wish I knew what I was doing!
Yea, I don't think it's so easy. If you get a good base tune I'm sure you could keep it fine tuned from there.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Default SD Tune

Could ne1 spare a good FI base tune for a 408CI motor?????? Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
You do! My cam was a 275-286 .735-.715 @ 112+3 . Try to tune that one with a MAF! I just pulled that one out to put a real cam in it!
Damn, I don't want to shake anyones fillings out. My weal link in my 436 are the heads...they're still just LS1 ported heads and a stock ported TB. If i go with a bigger cam I'd be wasting my time I think?

Is that cam in a street car? How does it run on the street?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:19 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Damn, I don't want to shake anyones fillings out. My weal link in my 436 are the heads...they're still just LS1 ported heads and a stock ported TB. If i go with a bigger cam I'd be wasting my time I think?

Is that cam in a street car? How does it run on the street?
It doesn't get driven much. Car shows, a couple local hangouts. It think the cam would be fine with a SD tune or Big Stuff. I put a smaller cam with 10 deg less duration and it was ALOT better for the street. Made more torque down low and made the same peak power. My new set up is going to be more on the wild side. We'll see. Andy.

Quick Reply: Speed density tune...can someone explain