Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wierd battery problem

Ok brand new perfectly good battery. Brand new perfectly good alternator. Both tested out good. Now the car will die within 48 hours if not cranked and driven. Sometimes it will be dead within 24 hours. Now the draw on it is VERY small and within the factory specs. What could be causing this. Could a battery that isn't the right specs cause this? I would say it was possible that my underdrive pulley caused this, but that can't be the case since I put in a brand new battery and cranked it up. Drove it around the block until operating temps and then shut it off. Didn't drive it for 4 days and it was dead. I can't remember the specs on my battery but it was like 650cca's I think. It's a car quest battery.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the alternator, there is a plug for something that is on the top, if this isnt plugged in that happens. you might of even broke off the wire to it, i know i did.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

The exciter wire? It's plugged in and it works. It regulates the current from the alternator to the battery. If the battery is close to dead and it actually cranks my volt meter will read really high (the alternator charging the battery) but after awhile it comes back down to a little past 13 volts.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats what its called. Sounds like a bad battery, try swapping in an old one, cause that is the only possible thing, unless you have alot of moisture at night then the water is allowing a lose 12v source to short out. I actually had that problem too. Then i also had a problem where my main power wire from the back of my car was shorting out on the swaybar mount because the dumbass who installed it just taped it up with duck tape. Only happened when i tried to accelerate hard though. sorry for the rant just not a good time in my life.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, well I put in a bigger battery. If it still does it I'm going to take this thing apart piece by piece
Old 01-15-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 777
Hmm, well I put in a bigger battery. If it still does it I'm going to take this thing apart piece by piece
My factory AC Delco just crapped out on me. It was rated at 525 CCA and 260 Load Test. Not complaining about it, I did get 5 years out of it. I only posted the stock battery specs up because I think the battery you had was big enough...

I replaced it with an Optima Red Top which was rated at 950 or so CCA and when I went to crank it up it did not do squat. I took the battery to get it tested and charged up and it only had an 85% charge in it. (not enough to crank the car over, it just 'clicked') I am guessing that it had been sitting on the shelf for a while and had discharged a little bit... It cranked right up once the battery had been charged.

I think you would have been just fine with 650 CCA battery in there.
Just trying to help if I can...

James
Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

The new battery is an interstate mega something and it is rated at 650cca.