Sponsored by:

Tuning '03 suburban with procharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning '03 suburban with procharger

just a few questions.

1. truck has 6.0 with stock injectors, should I get lucas 42lb'ers or run stock and check duty cycle and afr
procharger kit is 7-9 lbs
truck has a rising rate FPR, has no KR, but is running lean
have not checked with wideband but narrowbands are only getting to 850
I have an LC-1 and will begin tuning next week

2. Is this the correct path for tuning?

a. injector flow rate(if not using stock injectors)
b. idle tune (if running cam with unstable idle)
c. autotune VE table
d. power enrichment tuning
e. MAF calibration (if still running maf)

3. when does the vehicle enter PE mode?
I looked at the parameters under mixture but it doesnt tell me when PE is operating.

4. should I upgrade to 2 bar map sensor and custom OS to run 7-9 lbs?
would this be easier to tune with?

5. after I reset LTFT's, how much driving is required to see the results?
are reccomended LTFT's different for a boosted vehicle?

TIA for any help
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You will definitely need bigger injectors, probably even bigger than 42s. mototron 60s are a popular choice, easy to tune, i've seen them for ~$410 new and ~300 used.
you might wanna get an electronic fuel pressure gauge and log it across the full range, since your FPR is going to make that variable, not static. then you'd have to modify the injectors.xls spreadsheet to accomodate for that (i can do that for you if you'd like).
2.you got it right and in right order!
the only thing i see a problem with is you're gonna max out MAF fairly easy, so you should go with your #4 idea and just go 2 bar SD.
3. log your boost if you can (again, electronic gauges are great for this) and see when your car gets anywhere near boost, and adjust your MAP and TPS accordingly.
5. i usually reset trims, go for a 10-15 min ride where trims go crazy learning, then turn off the engine, go for another 10-15 min ride and that should already have some stabilized results. LTFT's are the same, you just want your PE to be on the rich side, and timing to be really tame (12-16 degs is a good value to start off with)
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
1. You will definitely need bigger injectors, probably even bigger than 42s. mototron 60s are a popular choice, easy to tune, i've seen them for ~$410 new and ~300 used.
you might wanna get an electronic fuel pressure gauge and log it across the full range, since your FPR is going to make that variable, not static. then you'd have to modify the injectors.xls spreadsheet to accomodate for that (i can do that for you if you'd like).
2.you got it right and in right order!
the only thing i see a problem with is you're gonna max out MAF fairly easy, so you should go with your #4 idea and just go 2 bar SD.
3. log your boost if you can (again, electronic gauges are great for this) and see when your car gets anywhere near boost, and adjust your MAP and TPS accordingly.
5. i usually reset trims, go for a 10-15 min ride where trims go crazy learning, then turn off the engine, go for another 10-15 min ride and that should already have some stabilized results. LTFT's are the same, you just want your PE to be on the rich side, and timing to be really tame (12-16 degs is a good value to start off with)
Great info, I was also going to suggest 60 lb. Mototrons because it will give you room to grow. Also the HP tuner 2 bar is definitely the way to go. Once a vehicle is dialed in it runs like a dream
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J&J Speed Shop
Great info, I was also going to suggest 60 lb. Mototrons because it will give you room to grow.
It's not even about the room to grow, 42s are easily maxed with a properly done FI setup, even on relatively low boost. i have an basic, semi-untuned STS system that pushed almost 80% duty cycle at 5200rpm, and we plan to push it another 1500rpm which will push it way past the 'comfortable margin' of 80% DC.

it's a requirement, not an option.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what do you mean adjust map and tps?
Is PE mode determined by a certain tps/map reading?

timing to be really tame (12-16 degs is a good value to start off with)
so, 12-16 is the most timing I should see on the WHOLE table or just MAX advance?

neweraperformanceparts.com has mototron 60#'s for $419 shipped
I will get those ordered
Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
what do you mean adjust map and tps?
Is PE mode determined by a certain tps/map reading?
there are two triggers that are responsible for going into PE mode (ECT too, but that's a side issue). you will go into PE mode when both TPS and MAP readings are above certain limits.
under Fuel Control -> Power Enrich, you got 'PE Enable' sectionwith a MAP number. that's one of the triggers.
the other trigger is bit underneath, under 'PE Enable TPS', you got hot and cold tables, both dependent on RPM.
the way to tune these is not that precise, you just need to do some driving and browse the logs, and match up MAP/TPS values for when intake pressure is about to turn into positive. remember that with FI (especially turbos) you can go into positive boost (which is more torque than normal NA setup will see at peak tq) quite early, often under 3000rpm. so adjust these PE enable by TPS(vs RPM) tables accordingly, normally they don't expect any real torque until >4000RPM.

so, 12-16 is the most timing I should see on the WHOLE table or just MAX advance?
neither it's the timing in your WOT range (which you have to figure out empirically, just please do it on tame settings, you can always up it later) the easiest way to do this is to get going, and once you're ready to gun it, clear your logs, start new, gun it, and stop logging right before you let off the gas. this will give you a clear 'path' of your WOT run. enclose that path in a rectangular box, fill it with 12-16* values, making sure that the edge values (the ones that touch the non-WOT areas) blend nicely, you don't want too crazy jerkiness on your spark tables, so use like first three border row/columns to blend it in.
so if you got 30* in the non-wot and 16* in WOT area, highlight the 30* row/column, and another three row/columns into the WOT area, and then hit 'interpolate between vertical/horizontal bounds' to get it to be a nice transition. play with this process a little, you'll quickly figure out what i'm trying to get at. have the graph in a little window as you're editing the data so you instantly see what's going on.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are two triggers that are responsible for going into PE mode (ECT too, but that's a side issue). you will go into PE mode when both TPS and MAP readings are above certain limits.
under Fuel Control -> Power Enrich, you got 'PE Enable' sectionwith a MAP number. that's one of the triggers.
great info
one problem
I am using efilive software
do you know the parameter to adjust with efilive?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

{B3615} and {B3613} seem to be the equivalents. also, there seems to be a bunch more for EFI under Engine->Fuel->Mixture
Old 01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

{B3615} and {B3613} seem to be the equivalents. also, there seems to be a bunch more for EFI under Engine->Fuel->Mixture
awesome, I will check those parameters out when I get home
are there any direct plug-in 60# injectors for the trucks?
I was told that mototron 60's will need different connectors to work.
thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

no clue about trucks, i'll let others chime in. plenty of FI truck ppl out there, i bet searching for 5 secs will get you the answer.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no clue about trucks, i'll let others chime in. plenty of FI truck ppl out there, i bet searching for 5 secs will get you the answer.
you were right
racetronix.com sells mototron deka 4 60# flow matched shorty's

Quick Reply: Tuning '03 suburban with procharger