PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had a dyno tune on a stock car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had a dyno tune on a stock car?

I would like to know how much gain there would be.

I see stuff where someone base lines the car then adds some parts and dyno tunes the car. Then they claim the parts were worth XX horsepower over stock, but this it not exactly true since the engine was not tuned for optimum performance when it was all stock, but it is tuned with the aftermarket parts.

If they gained 20hp with the mods and 15 more with the tune, and the stock engine would have gained 10 with a tune then the bolt ons really only added 25 hp, but people will claim they added 35.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have seen an extra 15 rwhp on our Mustang Chassis Dyno on the '04 GTO's by doing nothing more than retuning it. An extra 15 rwhp on a Mustang Chassis Dyno is a really good gain. Bob
Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done bone stock cars and they typically at least pick up 15 at the wheels. I've had a good number pick up something in the mid 20's and I think the highest to date has been 26rwhp.

Tuning can really help. On a related note I just did a car after a pacesetter LT off road y pipe install. The headers picked it up 16rwhp from the baseline and the tune picked it up another 18rwhp.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some guy claimed the other night that 50hp can be gained on a stock motor.

If you are planning on modding your car in the future I would not waste your money twice for a dyno tune. However A lot can be gained from the driveabaility aspect on a stock car. More aggressive part throttle/wot shift points, firmness, torque management, part/wot timing, cooler fan temps ect.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of shops will re tune your car for free, or for a small fee, once you've had it done once, so it's not a waste of money at all to get a bone stock car tuned. If your car is automatic, it's even more beneficial because they can raise the shift points and speed up the time it takes to make the shift. That aspect alone can be worth two tenths. The stock shift points on auto LS1 vehicles are about 4 or 500 rpm too low.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's always going to depend on the condition the car is starting out in.
Things as small as a descreened or ported MAF can throw off your WOT tune quite a bit.

Performance parts besides nitrous are only going to be worth x% power gain, and not just x absolute power gain. Most bolt-on parts however can't even claim that, only that they are worth 'some potential' gain depending on what you bolt them on to.

Take this example:
You've added larger injectors which makes your WOT even richer than the factory tune and you lose a little power.
You then add a ported MAF or a complete exhaust system which leans the WOT back down and shows a 40hp gain.

Some people would say the 40hp came from the two mods.

Another alternative would be to tune for the conditions (the larger injectors) before adding any more parts. That could get you 25hp maybe. If you then add the ported MAF or exhaust, you'd only gain maybe 5hp because of the tune no longer matching.

From this example you can see that the parts or mods are only worth a potential gain when the tune matches. You can also see that in some cases a tune may seem to be worth a very large gain in power.

Pretty much the only thing that will give you x-amount of power increase every time without tuning to match, is a nitrous system. In 99% of cases the tune to match the nitrous system is simply to help the engine survive the extra power, and not to create any more power.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a dyno tune on a stock car?