Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning for LTs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning for LTs

I just had LTs installed. Should I wait till I get a cam sometime next year before I tune or get it tuned now? Is it really even worth the money to get it tuned now? Will I see a big hp increase or just a few hp?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, a buddy of mine put a set of LG LT's on his C5 Z06 and when I was finished with the car he had another 14-16rwhp
Old 02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what kinda tune you are talking about...a good tune could net you a few HP on an F-body, but if the ultimate in performance out of what you have isn't in your budget, I'd say wait until you did the cam.

And was the 14-16 RWHP above the initial header gain, or was that total gain from the LG headers? Not a great comparison anyways, since the LG headers are a few steps above what we can get on these cars.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It depends on what kinda tune you are talking about...a good tune could net you a few HP on an F-body, but if the ultimate in performance out of what you have isn't in your budget, I'd say wait until you did the cam.

And was the 14-16 RWHP above the initial header gain, or was that total gain from the LG headers? Not a great comparison anyways, since the LG headers are a few steps above what we can get on these cars.
So I would only get about 10hp since I have pacesetter headers? I don't have any cats on the car not sure if that will make a big difference or not.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh...not sure on the 10HP number. 10HP *more* from a tune with headers...it really depends on how well your car reacted to it to begin with.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I heard you could get like 25+ hp with a tune. Thought that sounded a bit high. I'll prob just wait till I get some more mods. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I looked back at the sheets and it was about 13-14rwhp gain after tuning. Before the tuning it picked up about the same amount so the total gain from the headers + tuning was about 26-28rwhp. Also note, it took a lot of tweaking to get it there and the owner told me he wanted it maxed
I gave him the option of a completely safe tune, or a max power tune...he opted for the latter...
The tune is still pretty safe though because the AFR is 12.5. I had to use this AFR in order to squeeze in a few more degrees advance. Final timing was between 27-29*
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Eh...not sure on the 10HP number. 10HP *more* from a tune with headers...it really depends on how well your car reacted to it to begin with.
Right, it does depend on how the PCM responds to the header to begin with...if the AFR is very close to where you would normally tune it then there is not much power to be made...but if the AFR is way off then you can expect to see some nice increases. Also, if your car has stock tune on it then you should be able to increase the timing a bit.