Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and Old HPT Coexisting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default New and Old HPT Coexisting?

I have all the F-bodies and Vettes on the old serial cable with 2.0.17. I am perfectly happy with the way it works. I actually prefer the serial cable over a USB for the way I use it. My question is, if I want to start tuning Gen IVs, can I purchase the new cable as a new customer and run both versions on the same laptop? ie continue to use what I'm licensed for on the old software/cable and anything new on the new software/cable? Can they both coexist on the same laptop?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

running 2 of the new versions on a laptop is possible...personally im now just running my 2 versions off of my usb chip...works pretty well just a bit of a pita.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any chance one of the 3 HPT owners can give me an answer here?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I have all the F-bodies and Vettes on the old serial cable with 2.0.17. I am perfectly happy with the way it works. I actually prefer the serial cable over a USB for the way I use it. My question is, if I want to start tuning Gen IVs, can I purchase the new cable as a new customer and run both versions on the same laptop? ie continue to use what I'm licensed for on the old software/cable and anything new on the new software/cable? Can they both coexist on the same laptop?
Sure it can be done, but not really sure why you want to do this? You need to install the differnt software each time you use it.

You don't lose anything by moving to USB, in fact you will gain upgrade credits towards the all ls1 car packages.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gameover
Sure it can be done, but not really sure why you want to do this? You need to install the differnt software each time you use it.

You don't lose anything by moving to USB, in fact you will gain upgrade credits towards the all ls1 car packages.
I'm going to lose $149 plus shipping for starters and have exactly what I have now. Only difference I see is I will plug a cable into a USB instead of a serial port. I'd rather put that money toward LS2 licenses. My serial cable works fine. 2.0 said I would have to uninstall 1.7 also, but they both happily exist on my laptop.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:31 AM
FormerVendor

if you upgrade to the MPVI Pro (EIO), you are saving $50 compared to buying the new cable outright and then having to manage the dual interface/software situation.

$199 upgrade + 8 credits = $599

compared to $649 (incl. 8 credits) for the interface outright.

Chris...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't use E I/O. I guess it's just not clear to me what upgrading my serial cable to USB gains me other than being able to use the new credit system for licensing over just starting new like a new customer would.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

the convenience of not having to switch cables and software, upgrade of a single software image rather than two seperate ones, the ability to use upgrade credits (for existing vette and fbody licenses) are the main reasons.

Others also consider USB a more convenient interface than serial.

Cheers,

Chris...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I already have all the Fbody and Vette licenses. Adding LS2s is my only interest now.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.