Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning 5.3 with "flex fuel" injectors for gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tuning 5.3 with "flex fuel" injectors for gas

Hey all I wont be doing my own tuning (yet) but have transplanted a 5.3 into my truck. The vin indicates it is a Flex fuel vehicle. I understand the injectors are larger for tihs option. Now to tune for "gas" does my tuner need to be aware of this? I assume there is some changes to be made to compensate for the larger injectors. I have had the truck mail order tuned and it runs and starts great but I think it is running rich. I will scan it with autotap but dont know what this will tell me? my fuel mileage is lower than expected.
also are the injectors marked differently so I can confirm this?
thanks
Dave
Old 02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

The flexy fuel injectors ARE larger, they should have a different PN and a little chatting with the GM parts counter guy should get you the info you want.
I believe they are Denso injectors(gas would be delphi's).

Then I'm sure there are tables in the pcm to deal with the different levels of ethanol in the fuel, theres a sensor that measures that.The tuner just really needs to know the LB/HR rating of the injectors, so they can get the Injector Flow Rate table right. If the tuner just sent you a tuned PCM for a 5.3 truck without knowing you can be sure its setup for the gas only injectors.

If the PCM is set up for 5.3 gas only injectors(19 LBS/HR?) it will be rich everywhere with the larger flex ones installed.

Last edited by hondo; 02-06-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Stock 5.3L injectors are 28lb/hr, flex fuels are 33 lb/hr. These are aka as the LS2 injector. They should have a different connector on them. The stock 5.3L connector will not engage with the flex fuel injectors.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks guys for the info. I am still on the quest to make sure what I have. I thought after I decoded the VIN I was given from the yard indicated it is a flex fuel but I bought an aftermarket harness and they pluged into it so that makes me think they are the "stock" ones.

I will do some scanning and get a better idea. It runs great I just wanted to verify what I have.
Dave
Old 02-09-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the harness should be the same regardless (doesn't matter injector size, they all use the same plug)

I believe flex fuel vehicles have an extra sensor that determines the type of fuel... I could be wrong... but I thought this was how they worked... and this is what let them switch between fueling tables.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike I think you are correct, however I dont believe I have this on my conversion? so I assume they will only work on in "gas" mode. I will do some more digging and figure out what injectors I have. During scanning can my narrow band o2 sensors get accurate enough to determine if I am running rich or not. I will be using Autotap.
Dave
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

The narrobands can give you a ballpark... part throttle you should see them switching high low high low (after warmup)

WOT high 800s to 930 or lower is probably ok... higher you are probably running rich, lower and probably lean ... but hard to get exact ranges w/out a wideband, so you have to just ballpark it
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 AM

Hey do you still have that tune? I just put a 5.3 in my jeep. I bought a LM7 but they sent me a L59 Flex Fuel. So i have the same situation with my injectors and it running rich. Any info on the tune would be helpful.
thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you realize this thread is over 2 1/2 years old?? What software do you have? We can probable help you find a stock tune that will work with your FF motor.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Do you realize this thread is over 2 1/2 years old?? What software do you have? We can probable help you find a stock tune that will work with your FF motor.
Yes i know its an old post but i was hoping someone like you would respond and be able to help me......So my plan worked

Anyway, My buddy has an HP tuner. I don't know what changes he needs to make to the fuel table, or anything else for that matter, to make this thing run better. I want to set it up to run standard 87 or 89 octane. The computer i'm using is from a 99 silverado 5.3

Any recommendations?

Quick Reply: tuning 5.3 with "flex fuel" injectors for gas