PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up WB to another sensor (EGR) to read into HPT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooking up WB to another sensor (EGR) to read into HPT?

I read a while back that someone without the EIO hooked their wide band into the EGR output or something to thise effect so they could read the WB O2 output (0-5V) into HPT. I can't seem to find the thread but does anyone have any info on doing something like this? I'm willing to pop $200 for the LC-1 but not another $200 for the USB EIO.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

i'm curious in how this would work. ttt
Old 02-10-2006, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did it....i am not too bright but ill try to explain
i used the output wire of my WB02 and wired it to the 0-5v egr wire. It was brown wire of the egr plug (center) i didnt need the WB output ground wire hooked up to anything...i guess the chassis is the ground for everything
you have to always log "egr" now and have egr turned on in the pcm
i gotta look at my laptop to remember the rest. you create a custom pid and use a formula for your particular WB to convert the 0-5v signal to a wideband reading. ill try to post it. If you get the elctrical part working...monitoring egr will at least let you see the voltage going up/down with a/f so you know its working

ok this is my custom pid:
[PID.2811]/.626+10

the /.626+10 is the formula you need for a dynojet wb commander

so basically its egr reported voltage /.626+10
egr reported is the [PID.2811]
so your custom pid using the egr input would be
[PID.2811] and then the formula for your wideband type

Wide Band O2 - LM1: result = volts / .5 + 10
Wide Band O2 - TE 2A0: result = volts / .5 + 9
Wide Band O2 - PLX: result = volts / .5 + 10
Wide Band O2 - DynoJet: result = volts / .625 + 10

hope this makes sense.

Last edited by cablebandit; 02-10-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

I did the same thing, just like cablebandit described, brown EGR wire in the middle. Just make sure the EGR is enabled in HPT, and log the EGR position (Volts) PID.

Kevin
Old 02-13-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. The only thing I dont know is why would I have an EGR plug if there is no EGR on the vette. Maybe this isn't possible on a vette?

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 02-13-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think it will be possible on a vette without EGR, see if you can find some other 0-5v sensor (that can be logged) you could live without. I have heard that the A/C pressure sensor works, but its sample rate is kind of low.

Kevin
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Still learning how to set up scan configs, here's what I did to set up the config to log the WB. Can you guys that have done this tell me if I've got it right? Installing WB this weekend so I can't test this out yet.

On table display I added EGR Position and a custom PID (named WB). Reading the above it looks like I have to log EGR and the custom PID too?

Custom PID set up, Name:Wideband, Abbrv:WB, Sensor:Volts, Units:V, Function [PID.2811]/.5.+10 (for LM1)

Have I got this going in the right direction?

For wiring I just tie the output into the brown wire on the EGR connector and possibly use ground wire on LM1 if not getting a good ground.

Anything else, help appreciated!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Intresting. For that matter I wonder if you could use post cat o2 sensor wiring, most of us have nothing hooked up if they are catless.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crewchef
Still learning how to set up scan configs, here's what I did to set up the config to log the WB. Can you guys that have done this tell me if I've got it right? Installing WB this weekend so I can't test this out yet.

On table display I added EGR Position and a custom PID (named WB). Reading the above it looks like I have to log EGR and the custom PID too?

Custom PID set up, Name:Wideband, Abbrv:WB, Sensor:Volts, Units:V, Function [PID.2811]/.5.+10 (for LM1)

Have I got this going in the right direction?

For wiring I just tie the output into the brown wire on the EGR connector and possibly use ground wire on LM1 if not getting a good ground.

Anything else, help appreciated!
crewchef,
Did you get this to work? If you did can you explain the steps you did to create the cusom PID? Did you have to log the egr and create a custom PID? I was able to scan the egr voltages 0-5v on the charts screen. Did you have to create histograms for them too? Damn, I'm close. TIA

Last edited by givittua; 04-08-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Also, I tried to tie all the signal grounds back under the dash and when I tied the egr ground back with the others my truck would die out. I figure the ground under the dash is floating higher than the egr ground (I was trying to avoid the ground offset). This works fine for the o2 sensor. I will try it with just the brown wire or I might try to find a better ground closer to the egr ground under the dash. Thanks

Edit note* It wasn't the ground. Unplugging the egr causes the stall. I must have missed disabling something in the egr. Actually I haven't put the block off plates on either. Does anyone know if this matters?

Last edited by givittua; 04-08-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Teching In

I zeroed out the egr airflow table and this seemed to do the trick. But, I can't get the 0-5v in the charts screen working again(this was even before zeroing out the airflow table).

Quick Reply: Hooking up WB to another sensor (EGR) to read into HPT?