PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMC Sierra/Yukon Denali Need Tuning Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMC Sierra/Yukon Denali Need Tuning Advice.

Hello everyone, I Don't know if this is the correct threat to post in but here is goes. First ever post have been reading post for awhile and needed some help of my own now thought what's a better time than now to join. I have a sierra denali and a yukon denali haven't yet decided what to build yet both are 07-13. Now here my predicament. I'm going to swap out the factory l92/l9H/l94 and replace it with a 388/427 going single 88/103 turbo paired with a 4l80E, but my issue is with what to use tuning wise HPT would be the best for me but i don't know if it would be able for my power level(Between 1600-2000) and wanted to know what are the table limitations for HPT. I thought about going with holly terminator x max, but i would like to keep the factory gauges and AC as it will be a street/strip truck. I still haven't purchased HPT or any standalone. So i'm up for suggestions and help would be much appreciated. Thank You in advanced.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure a single 88/103 will support 1600hp. But for what you want a piggyback style system would be my choice. So the stock ecm controls the gauges and allows all the other stuff to work, then have a holley ecu run the engine and trans. For that amount of power I wouldn't mess around with a terminatorx, go right to a dominator.

Edit- sloppymechanics did a piggyback style deal on his 2500 pickup, may check out his videos on YouTube. There may be companies doing integrated harnesses now, not sure but it's becoming more popular for street strip cars.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:32 AM
Teching In

I read that there's a guy in a little chevy pickup that runs some insane power and he uses hpt, but granted i don't all the problems he went though to get to that setup to work. i talked with someone else and they suggested i buy a holly and piggyback the factory ecu. I have heard about people piggybacking the stock ecu, but idk how big of a job it will be. I'm in no big hurry to build. I'm doing all my research before i build. I'm not wanting to make any big money mistakes. Also it will be a street car, but not really a daily for obvious reasons, but driving around town i'm going to be around the 1600(crankhp) but turn it on for the strip/when i go out to a night at mexico. I'm still flexible with my turbo for now. i was hoping the 88/103 would be sufficient, but i also have a 94/108 just in case i want to go bigger, but i'm trying to not have alot of turbo lag when out cruising around.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OneSlowGMC
I read that there's a guy in a little chevy pickup that runs some insane power and he uses hpt, but granted i don't all the problems he went though to get to that setup to work. i talked with someone else and they suggested i buy a holly and piggyback the factory ecu. I have heard about people piggybacking the stock ecu, but idk how big of a job it will be. I'm in no big hurry to build. I'm doing all my research before i build. I'm not wanting to make any big money mistakes. Also it will be a street car, but not really a daily for obvious reasons, but driving around town i'm going to be around the 1600(crankhp) but turn it on for the strip/when i go out to a night at mexico. I'm still flexible with my turbo for now. i was hoping the 88/103 would be sufficient, but i also have a 94/108 just in case i want to go bigger, but i'm trying to not have alot of turbo lag when out cruising around.
You can 100% make the power with hpt, but it always seemed finicky to me. Then depending on which ecm you use they have different abilities like some can't do flex fuel and 3 bar and some can. Not to mention adding dbw to the mix. Holley is just the easy answer to me lol

I have a vsracing 88/103 with a 1.58 housing on a ls3 head 377. So far it spools pretty good to me,, but the converter in it now is a cheapie. I'm ready to call ptc on Monday to get a good one built. I'm expecting the turbo will max out at 1300hp with my setup. With a bigger motor it may and prob will max sooner. Maybe it will go further, but my experience with vsracings s400 turbos says nope. What brand turbos do you have? I know the vsracing 94 deal is a monster size wise
Old 11-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Its a vs racing 94/108 with 1.58. i was looking at forced induction turbos but the price difference is pretty big. if your looking for ls3 heads. i would look at smeding performance they have pretty cheap 260cc ls3 head for a good price, but idk if they are the best heads. PRC heads out flow them by a little on the intake but exhaust wise they out flow PRC heads. plus for the price they aren't that bad.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It has PRC ls3 heads and TSP camshaft, rods and pistons l92. I fell in love with PRC and TSP on my last 6.0 build, hard to beat imo.

let's us know which route you go bud.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lsxford
It has PRC ls3 heads and TSP camshaft, rods and pistons l92. I fell in love with PRC and TSP on my last 6.0 build, hard to beat imo.

let's us know which route you go bud.
I will do. Now i'm heavily deciding to go twin turbos vs the single for less turbo lag. Speed engineering has a twin kit i could buy, but i would have to change out the turbo that come in the kit for bigger turbos(64/55). how much do you like your PRC heads. i have heard really good things about texas speed, but i have no experience with them. Also how well does your fuel setup work and how much room do you have. I'm looking at dual 525 or triple 450.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OneSlowGMC
I will do. Now i'm heavily deciding to go twin turbos vs the single for less turbo lag. Speed engineering has a twin kit i could buy, but i would have to change out the turbo that come in the kit for bigger turbos(64/55). how much do you like your PRC heads. i have heard really good things about texas speed, but i have no experience with them. Also how well does your fuel setup work and how much room do you have. I'm looking at dual 525 or triple 450.
I heavily debated doing twins, but I feel like with the right converter and camshaft turbo lag isn't an issue. I really like my PRC heads, this is the 2nd set I've got from them. I got this set with their stage 3 ls3 turbo cam last year on black Friday sale. If I needed another set I wouldn't hesitate to get them from tsp. My buddy has a 5.3 turbo nova with a set of their cathedral as cast heads and he loves them also. Me and him both started having issues blowing gaskets with the stock heads and arp studs.

I have 3 pumps, a walbro 535 primary and 2 walbro 525s. So far I haven't needed the 3rd one yet, should be a while before I do. I went with a set of snakeeater 1500s this time, also on pump E85, I was going to do bosch 210s again from big Willie's but the budget was getting thin at that time. If I need to go bigger I'll go to 210s, however my holley lowram is the dual injector version which the terminator can't do but was the only one anybody had in stock lol.

I haven't had this new car to the track yet still working the kinks out. I believe im about there so I'm gonna call ptc and get a good converter on the way Monday.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lsxford
I heavily debated doing twins, but I feel like with the right converter and camshaft turbo lag isn't an issue. I really like my PRC heads, this is the 2nd set I've got from them. I got this set with their stage 3 ls3 turbo cam last year on black Friday sale. If I needed another set I wouldn't hesitate to get them from tsp. My buddy has a 5.3 turbo nova with a set of their cathedral as cast heads and he loves them also. Me and him both started having issues blowing gaskets with the stock heads and arp studs.

I have 3 pumps, a walbro 535 primary and 2 walbro 525s. So far I haven't needed the 3rd one yet, should be a while before I do. I went with a set of snakeeater 1500s this time, also on pump E85, I was going to do bosch 210s again from big Willie's but the budget was getting thin at that time. If I need to go bigger I'll go to 210s, however my holley lowram is the dual injector version which the terminator can't do but was the only one anybody had in stock lol.

I haven't had this new car to the track yet still working the kinks out. I believe im about there so I'm gonna call ptc and get a good converter on the way Monday.
For the small price difference i honestly should just go with a set of PRC heads get their heads cam kit and be done with it. lucky for me i'm running a 6 bolt head right out the gate im not starting with 4. I have seen bosch 210 be a great deal for the money, but i've also heard people say they aren't the easiest to tune or you need to but the real version not the cheap knock off version which wouldn't be that hard just buy it off a good name brand website. As of my fuel pump Aeromotive has a drop in tank fuel pump for 05-17 GM trucks and you can get it with triple 450s which according to their website can support 2400(gas hp) or 1650(E85). I'm not close to any e85 pumps so it's mainly going to be a pump gas truck.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Personally, if I was starting planning out a new build like this, I would not be considering a stock PCM to control it.

Can you use it? Probably. Are there better options that make more sense? IMO, absolutely.

Personally I'd go Holley EFI. You can add all sorts of safeties in the event something goes wrong that could save your engine.

If you are starting out tuning, and by the way your post reads you are, it's going to be a lot easier to learn Holley EFI than HPT at that power level.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Personally, if I was starting planning out a new build like this, I would not be considering a stock PCM to control it.

Can you use it? Probably. Are there better options that make more sense? IMO, absolutely.

Personally I'd go Holley EFI. You can add all sorts of safeties in the event something goes wrong that could save your engine.

If you are starting out tuning, and by the way your post reads you are, it's going to be a lot easier to learn Holley EFI than HPT at that power level.
After alot more research and peoples advice. I have decided to go holly and piggyback the factory ecu. Probably going to go with like a holley dominator. I've heard alot of great thing about it. I'm going to get a professional to put the first tune on it then go from there in the future I want to be able to tune it all by myself.

Quick Reply: GMC Sierra/Yukon Denali Need Tuning Advice.