Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD1 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 Problem

I have a 94 LT1 6 speed and i am having trouble with the OBD1 system or so i think. Recently me and my dad have hooked up a Tech 2 Scanner on the my car and evertime it tries to "talk' to the pcm it has an error that the connectoin was lost. i know that the Tech 2 was disigned for OBD2 but my dad said it should still work. he is an instructor for the GM Certification course. As far as OBD1, I was under the influence that you could put a paper clip in the first ans second hole on the dignostic port and the SES light would flash a certain number of times for that code. Mine simply flashes really fast and forever when i tried it. Please help i think i might have a seriuos problem.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't be much help unfortuanetly My knowledge of OBDI is very limited....

only suggestion I have (and I'm not sure if this even applies to your car... it does to OBDII LS1s)

Check the Cig/Accy fuse to make sure it's not blown... if the OBDI setup is anything like OBDII w/GM F-Bodys, then they both use the same fuse/power (cig lighter and DLC)

Sorry I can't be more help maybe try posting in the LT1 section also
Old 02-23-2006, 01:05 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .....

Horist hopefully you dont hit me up for posting a nonsponsor. LT1 info is hard to come by. Ive tuned a couple lt1's with tunercats. Tell me this does it try to connect, engages the fans then turns off the fans and says no communication? contact "Andrew K. Mattei" <amattei@mindspring.com> for a good cable it worked for me although I dont think it will work with a tech 2 you can buy some scanning software off the net for 100.00 or so then you just need a computer to put it on.

Originally Posted by horist
I can't be much help unfortuanetly My knowledge of OBDI is very limited....

only suggestion I have (and I'm not sure if this even applies to your car... it does to OBDII LS1s)

Check the Cig/Accy fuse to make sure it's not blown... if the OBDI setup is anything like OBDII w/GM F-Bodys, then they both use the same fuse/power (cig lighter and DLC)

Sorry I can't be more help maybe try posting in the LT1 section also
Old 02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

The fans are one a switch because they stopped working with the comp controlling them. when it tries to connect that is when the messege comes up
Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the TEch 2 will work with obd1. You have to hook up a power supply to the Tech 2, and use the obd1 attachment on the cable. At my shop we have
been having problems with our Tech 2's loosing communication then start working again. We replaced the cable and it fixed the problem. By the way, is your dad an instructor at Brookhaven college's asep program. I saw that you lived in Redoak, and my asep instructor from Brookhaven lived in Redoak. Just curious. I use the tech 2 instead of the tech 1 for my 93z, so it should work for you. And if your dad is an instructor at Brookhaven, then they should have all the stuff you you need so your dad can bring it home to you. Hope this helps. I am going to pm you some more info.

Last edited by rkinney; 02-23-2006 at 11:42 PM.