PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the MAF....yah or nay??!!HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing the MAF....yah or nay??!!HELP!

I'm taking my ls1 to the shop to get it retuned and a few other mods done to it and the tech there recommended completely removing my maf to gain performance............is this a good thing or a bad thing???
Old 02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Launching!

It'a bad thing. Your stock MAF is good up to something like 600HP. You won't see any noticeable gains, and you will have issues.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

my local tuner told me he loved SD tuneing much better, easy to tune and the maf cant screw anything up. im prolly gonna go mafless eventualy.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Your gas mileage will suffer without it. That is if that concerns you at all.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

why would your gas milage suffer if its tuned corectly
Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, so far I haven't seen any accurate information in this thread. If you want some good info, go poke around in the tuning section.

I haven't had a MAF on my car for quite some time (like a year), and it runs way better without it. Gas mileage hasn't suffered AT ALL. This isn't something that is rocket science anymore...it just requires a little bit of knowledge and the right tools (Flashscan or HPTuners will both get you where you want to be).
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks! My car has already been tuned with the HPtune kit by my local shop. If I could just go and find out what the settings are then I can make this change. How much of a HP difference did this actually make?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure there are any gains between a properly tunes maf setup, and SD setup. I think they numbers would be extremely close, only thign on the maf side, is the maf being a restriction, but it isn't much of one. If both were tuned properly, all things should be about even, but it's much easier to tune SD.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RawDawg
Thanks! My car has already been tuned with the HPtune kit by my local shop. If I could just go and find out what the settings are then I can make this change. How much of a HP difference did this actually make?
Steve Meents is right on the money. Like he said, search a bit in the tuning section, wealth of info in there.

You will see little or no hp increase. Stock MAF is good to ~500 crank hp. One reason a lot of modded guys remove them is tuning.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is really only one true pro to running you car in SD mode (MAF-less) is how much easier it is to tune. Some will say that the car will have more performance, and be more stable, but I believe these to untrue if the MAF is properly dialed in. Personally I run in SD mode, for the simple reason that i do not have time to dial in my MAF, AND i think it is broken and i dont want to replace it... SD mode will probably not increase hp unless your MAF table is off somewhat. Ultimately its up to the tuner. Its a matter of preference and skill...
Old 03-02-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well, so far I haven't seen any accurate information in this thread. If you want some good info, go poke around in the tuning section.
I haven't had a MAF on my car for quite some time (like a year), and it runs way better without it. Gas mileage hasn't suffered AT ALL. This isn't something that is rocket science anymore...it just requires a little bit of knowledge and the right tools (Flashscan or HPTuners will both get you where you want to be).
I'm with you on this 100%.

You can exceed 1000hp with a MAF if you want, or you can make 400hp without the MAF. I prefer SD without the MAF myself, and no it does not hurt your gas mileage at all. It does have to have tuning though and it takes more work to get right. A generic "dyno-tune" won't cut it. It will need a full tune which often takes a day or more to complete.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Launching!

I made exactly 5.4 hp more with out the MAF on consecutive dyno runs, so at 430hp it may be a little restriction. We were logging everything. For some reason with my new setup at 2450 RPMs the car freaked out and pulled timing from 26* to 16 and then back up to full timing for the rest of the pull. So I pulled the MAF and problem was solved.

Fuel mileage has been a little better with out it if my math is right. I may be mistaken but since the MAF measures absolute pressure inside the intake manifold and calculates off that wouldn't it be true that if you went to an extreme difference in altitude that the tune that was perfect before would be completly off now?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 954RR
I made exactly 5.4 hp more with out the MAF on consecutive dyno runs, so at 430hp it may be a little restriction. We were logging everything. For some reason with my new setup at 2450 RPMs the car freaked out and pulled timing from 26* to 16 and then back up to full timing for the rest of the pull. So I pulled the MAF and problem was solved.

Fuel mileage has been a little better with out it if my math is right. I may be mistaken but since the MAF measures absolute pressure inside the intake manifold and calculates off that wouldn't it be true that if you went to an extreme difference in altitude that the tune that was perfect before would be completly off now?
MAF does not measure pressure, you are confused with a MAP sensor. MAF just measures airflow volume. MAP measures manifold pressure.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
MAF does not measure pressure, you are confused with a MAP sensor. MAF just measures airflow volume. MAP measures manifold pressure.
Sorry, I mean to type MAP in the last paragraph (tired), but you get the idea.... since i said i removed the MAF I would have nothing to tune off of unless I was talking about the MAP!

So since it measures absolute pressure moving the said tuned car to a different altitude in theory would throw the tune off some
Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is better suited for our Tuning section.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Agreed!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of misinformation here.....

to summarize:

a properly done SD tune (not using MAF) will not result in loss of fuel economy

A properly done SD tune will gain more power

A properly done SD tune and MAF tuning will result in negligable diffs in power (very high hp cars are the only ones that will gain much from going pure SD.... and even then it's controversial.... see harlan's 8 second MAF LS1)

it all boils down to who is doing the tune and how well they do it.....

the way I look at it... if you tune your own car.. then delete the MAF

if you rely on someone else.. have them SD tune the car and then tune the MAF and keep the MAF
Old 03-03-2006, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

the way I look at it... if you tune your own car.. then delete the MAF

if you rely on someone else.. have them SD tune the car and then tune the MAF and keep the MAF
I kinda agree as it may take a few times to hit all the cells and get a complete MAFless tune. However, some can get a SD tune in a short time period but it took me about 4 to 5 drives to get hit all cells and still missed a few in the low rpm levels.

I do like the SD tune it's pritty easy, just takes us novice tuners a little time to get all the cells, I wonder if a Mustang dyno is a better choise when doing a SD tune.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

I dont see any benifit to having the maf while there isnt much down side to it either i would just strip the unneeded stuff out of the car if it works fine with out it why keep it. Boosted cars can get away with a one bar map sensor useing a maf thats the only time i can think that it would be an advantage to have it.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
(very high hp cars are the only ones that will gain much from going pure SD.... and even then it's controversial.... see harlan's 8 second MAF LS1)
Wasn't that a dual MAF setup, and a cool little black box to translate both signals into something the PCM could understand?