Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Engine will not turn off

I have a WS6 and every now and then when you start it up first thing the engine has this sound like a bearing going bad. Also car wont die when key is turned off sounds like a spark plug missing and popping sound. Also amp gauge shows alterenator is not charging. Car makes this sound for about five minutes then goes away and gauge shows alternator is charging and everything is normal. The problem happens a couple of times a month so it isn't a problem everytime I start the car. I do not have any codes because it happens only occasionally. Is there any other way to check on whats going on. I plan to take a road trip next month and I do not want any surprises.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very likely a bad alternator bearing. After cranking your car and it starts running the alternator is at its highest amp charge and load, this is when they will grind for awhile, until the battery recharges some. Get an auto stethoscope from an auto parts store, with the engine off, turn your headlights on for five min or so to partially run the battery down. Then with the hood up start your car and if you hear that noise, put your steth on the alternator housing and it will leave no doubt if that is it.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply dyno only thing that has me stumped is why won't the engine cut off and this strange popping sound when the key is in the off position. I turn key to run position and engine stops making popping sound.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it dieseling?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an old car and it won't turn off... you would check to make sure the car doesn't think the AC is on when it is really off. Also, lower the idle speed, turn back the timing. Make sure the TB/Carb is really all the way closed.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Teching In

No Guits it is not dieseling or any type of detonation. My T/A is a 2000 model with the LS1 engine. So I do not have any issue with the A/C for sure Z28 but keep the information coming. I have never had it tuned or modded except for a air lid and Borla catback exhaust that was added in 2000 when I bought the car new. Could it be an O2 sensor starting to go bad? I will probably just drive it until something I can get a handle on comes up.