PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help...car running poorly

Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...car running poorly

My 02 Z28 runs like crap until it warms up. The idle gets so low that you can't even hear it run. Its pretty much stock...just a lid and cat-back. Also, the temperature gauge jumps sligtly until it warms up. Once the car has reached running temp...everything seems good. I am not showing a ses light, but I had it scanned and I was told that I had a bad 02 sensor in bank 1. Could this be the problem? And how would this affect the temperature gauge?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:30 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

What exactly were you "told" about the O2? If it was as bad as you describe it should set the ses. The sensor could be on it's way out and is acting lazy but, with an unmodified 2002 that only has 15k and an owner fwd deployed-that part doesn't make sense. If it was a modded car with LTs where the sensor is just farther down stream than stock and is not getting hot enough fast enough for the pcm I could see that. However, in your case you would just have to be very unlucky to have the O2 just go bad on you like this. It would drive like total crap and not get any better. The temp gauge on the later models are know to be not accurate-but in the exact opposite way you describe- GM wanted to sooth complaints of the more accurate sensors found in the 98's where people were making more warranty visits because you could litterally watch the gauge climb sky high sitting in summer traffic-so they toned down the reporting-either your gauge should read cold or hot from what I understand not, erratic. Are you the original owner of this car. When did this start happening?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Teching In

It started happening shortly after I installed a dry shot of nitrous, but it hasn't been sprayed. I don't know how that would have anything to do with it??
Old 03-05-2006, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it scanned and I was told that I had a bad 02 sensor in bank 1.
Code:

do you have a copy of the scans? or the SES codes being set?

The temp gauge thing is weird... 99+ F-Body gauges are dummy gauges... so if it's bouncing around could be a problem w/the temp sensor in the head....

regarding it happening after you installed the dry nitrous.... which kit did you install? are you running the stock MAF?

if you had/have a scan of the car it would help... members of the military receive special treatment (or rather I will spend more of my personal time trying to help) by me feel free to email it to me , mike at horist dot com w/any scans you have or any additional info you have (please reference this post in any emails though)

Thanks for serving our country!
Mike
Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies fellows. I found the problem. I traced all of the sensors being affected back to the blue side of the computer. Apparently the gasket inside the plug lost its seal and let water in. The connection was corroded. A little cleaning and she's back running perfect. Well...my leave is almost over and its time to head back. I can't wait until August when I will be back with my car.

Semper Fi

Search this Thread