PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about HPTuners before I purchase

Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions about HPTuners before I purchase

I'll be purchasing HPTuners for my '02 Camaro (408 motor), '04 Silverado SS (turbo 408), and a '98 GMC Sierra (stock '02 LQ9 from Escalade) that I'm doing an engine swap on.

My main concern is on the '98 Sierra. With HPTuners, will I be able to do everything on the PCM that I need to to make the swap successful. I plan on putting an '02 Cadillac Escalade 6.0 LQ9 motor in it. I want to disable VATs, but I'm also wondering if HPTuners will have options to allow me to use a standard throttle body with a cable instead of a electronic throttle body.

Also, I'm wondering how does the PCM flashing work. For my '04 Silverado SS, it will be a turbo motor with nitrous, and I would like to have two or three PCMs for it, one calibrated for the street, one calibrated for race fuel etc. If I buy support for the VIN of the truck using 2 credits, can I take any PCM and flash it to the truck VIN and then program each PCM with different calibrations, or will I need to buy additional credits for each PCM I plan on using with the truck.

And I was also wondering, on the '04 Silverado, I plan on switching to a 4l80e trans, does HPTuners have everything I need to support a transmission swap like that?

One last question, I plan on doing several more swaps in various vehicles, when I flash a PCM with HPTuners, it flashes the PCM to stock settings so that it can run a complete stock motor correct, or do I need to go through and calibrate the PCM to run a stock motor when flashing PCMs?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IDK about the LQ9 issue, but i can say a few things about the 04 silverado. you don't need multiple PCMs, you can have 3 different tuning calibrations saved on your laptop, and in like 2 min you can change the tuning setup on the PCM. if you do want to have multiple PCMs, if you can get them to all have the same VIN, then all you would need is to have support for that one VIN.

if you are doing swaps, you can flash a PCM to stock settings, but to do that you need a stock bin. those can be found various places(check stickies). simply edit the VIN in the bins and do a complete reflash. im sure others can chime in with the rest of ur issues
Old 03-06-2006, 05:55 PM
MASS seller approved

So if I have a PCM, can I flash it or change the VIN to match the VIN of the truck, or will I need someone else to flash it to the VIN before I can touch the PCM with HPTuners?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try emailing sales at hptuners dot com your questions are pretty specific yet in depth...hptuners licensing policies might cause you issues trying to apply a vin from a 98 truck to an 02 computer. I would say contact them first & go from there.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by foff667
try emailing sales at hptuners dot com your questions are pretty specific yet in depth...hptuners licensing policies might cause you issues trying to apply a vin from a 98 truck to an 02 computer. I would say contact them first & go from there.
I don't care what VIN ends up on the PCM for the '98 Truck. I figured I would probably use a vin from a 2002 Escalade as that is what the PCM and motor will be from.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

the PCM(except 98 f-bodies, dunno about other cars) is the exact same thing for all years, meaning that any year and model program can be flashed on it.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah but he would need to own the license for both.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
the PCM(except 98 f-bodies, dunno about other cars) is the exact same thing for all years, meaning that any year and model program can be flashed on it.
I understand that, but what I'm wondering is, say I buy a blank PCM or a PCM from another vehicle, and want to flash it to use as a 2nd pcm for a VIN I already own. Can I flash the PCM that I bought to a VIN that I own without using up any credits from HPTuners.

Even if I get the PCM flashed from somebody else, well HPTuners still be able to do anything with it if it matches a VIN I own? I guess I'm asking if HPTuners 'locks' to the VIN on the PCM, or if it locks to each PCM regardless of VIN.

What happens if I fry my PCM during programming, do I have to spend another 2 credits to be able to flash another PCM even though it would be for use in the same vehicle?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Time2Kill
I understand that, but what I'm wondering is, say I buy a blank PCM or a PCM from another vehicle, and want to flash it to use as a 2nd pcm for a VIN I already own. Can I flash the PCM that I bought to a VIN that I own without using up any credits from HPTuners.
No. You will need more credits to support the "new" PCM as well as the Escalade PCM. Your best bet is do not bother with additional PCM, an HPT file will accomplish the same thing while not using up any extra credits.

Even if I get the PCM flashed from somebody else, well HPTuners still be able to do anything with it if it matches a VIN I own? I guess I'm asking if HPTuners 'locks' to the VIN on the PCM, or if it locks to each PCM regardless of VIN.
Yes! If someone else flashes any ECM for you (so long as they have support for the to-be-flashed ECM) with your VIN, you will not have any issues using your (proposed) HPTuners. The operator of HPTuners decides if s/he wishes to lock the ECM. HPTuners itself does not automatically lock any ECMs. If you have a single license support, then HPTuners will "lock" to that specific VIN ... unless you get Year/Model support.

What happens if I fry my PCM during programming, do I have to spend another 2 credits to be able to flash another PCM even though it would be for use in the same vehicle?
The chances of that happening are very unlikely when using the Calibration Flash process as HPTuners has set it up to prevent this. You may want to contact the HPTuners' Sales department directly for this.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 AM
8 Second Club

so just to clear things up for me, if i buy the software with 8 credits, and i use it for my 99 camaro and my other swap project ( using a vette pcm) , can i flash the vette pcm to a 99 camaro pcm while only using 2 credits (the ones i used for my camaro.) ??

Search this Thread