Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Trims Trouble Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Trims Trouble Shooting

88 TransAm with 98 LS1. Just finished up this motor swap in February and just got HP Tuners last week. By the way support from HPT has been great. I've had a couple of issues and they've responded very quickly when I email support.

Bank 1 LTFT is maxing out at 25 and STFT is still adding a little (between 0 and 5) at idle and low RPMS. Appears during moderate driving LTFT are still adding fuel (15 +/-) but not maxed out.

Can't find any exhaust leaks, plan to switch O2s between bank 1/2 tonight and try to listen to injectors with a stethascope to make sure all four are working. Another thing I thought of but wasn't sure if it could be an issue. On drivers side manifold the O2 sensor wouldn't fit in existing bung (clearance issue) so we capped it and put a new bung about 6 inches lower (in the down tube). Would moving the O2 create this kind of problem?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the LTs are 25 then you defiantly have a leak somewhere. I would try the intake, TB, MAP sensor, etc for leaks. Its sucking ari somewhere. Just had this problem with my FAST intake couple weekends ago. I found that one of the intake gaskets came out of the intake on the top of one of the ports causing it to suck air. I wouldnt think that moving the O2 6in would cause that problem, but then agian your working on an ls1 so anything is possible.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the response, I had been looking for an exhaust leak but guess it makes sense to be looking on the intake side too. I did switch the O2s side to side last night with no affect. The bank 1 sensor was nasty black though which I assume means I'm getting way to much fuel in that bank. Injectors are all ticking so for now assuming they are putting fuel out too.

What's the best way to check for leaks on the intake side? I've heard of spraying starting fluid around intake but not sure that's the best way.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Tony
Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crewchef
Thanks for the response, I had been looking for an exhaust leak but guess it makes sense to be looking on the intake side too. I did switch the O2s side to side last night with no affect. The bank 1 sensor was nasty black though which I assume means I'm getting way to much fuel in that bank. Injectors are all ticking so for now assuming they are putting fuel out too.

What's the best way to check for leaks on the intake side? I've heard of spraying starting fluid around intake but not sure that's the best way.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Tony
If your LTFTs are +25 then that reperesents a lean condition. + means is adding fuel to compensate and - means that is subtracting fuel. Maybe its adding so much fuel trying to fix the lean condition it covered the 02 sensor. When my intake leaked you could hear it, it sounded like a blower. I would check everything I could on the intake so see if you can find a leak first, then try your other method. Do you have the small vacuum line on the back of the intake hooked up or blocked off? What about the brake booster line that runs from the back of the intake? The PCV posts on the TB, on the intake (bottom front)? It sucking air somewhere behind the MAF is what it sounds like the problem. Ive heard about the starter fluid method but never tried it my self so I couldnt help you there. Also when you are logging the LTFT's are you reseting the fuel trims? If not they will read 25 for awhile till the computer relearns itself.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses. Put together a listening device, short piece of thin copper tube and then some vacumn hose. Listened all around the intake, TB, etc for a leak, nothing found. Checked all the vacumn lines too, no leaks. Friend recommended doing a balance test (remove one injector connection at a time) as soon as we touched the connector on number six the idle changed. Wiggled it around and discovered that connector was loose. When we checked it the prongs were spread apart. It was firing but not all the time so basically that one cyl was causing the problem. The others were really fat thus the nasty black O2 sensor after only about 40 miles on the car.

Anyway, problem fixed. LTFT reset and while they're still adding fuel both banks are consistent with a range of 10 to 12 between idle and about 3K. Now we can disconnect the MAF and start trying to get the VE dialed in.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crewchef
Thanks for the responses. Put together a listening device, short piece of thin copper tube and then some vacumn hose. Listened all around the intake, TB, etc for a leak, nothing found. Checked all the vacumn lines too, no leaks. Friend recommended doing a balance test (remove one injector connection at a time) as soon as we touched the connector on number six the idle changed. Wiggled it around and discovered that connector was loose. When we checked it the prongs were spread apart. It was firing but not all the time so basically that one cyl was causing the problem. The others were really fat thus the nasty black O2 sensor after only about 40 miles on the car.

Anyway, problem fixed. LTFT reset and while they're still adding fuel both banks are consistent with a range of 10 to 12 between idle and about 3K. Now we can disconnect the MAF and start trying to get the VE dialed in.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
That would do it! Glad you got it figured out. 10-12 is much better.