Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning "funny"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tuning "funny"

So I get finished with my Racetronix fuel pump upgrade (after the blower install, even with the ATI pump & a regulator the pressure was dropping to 35-40psi under boost) and I start the car to take a look. Everything looks weird, but the car is running fine, so I take her out for spin.

The car seems to be running fine, even tho the numbers are still odd looking, so I jump on the freeway & give the go pedal a short stab. Feels VERY weird now, so I dive off on the first exit & head for home. Seems to be running ok again, but those damn numbers....

So I get home, look at the log file, make some adjustments to the odd cell readings & take it back out. The car starts missing & surging & bucking, and the numbers are all over the place no & still make no sense!

OK, back in the garage it goes & I go in & drink until the pain goes away.....

So last night I'm back out pulling the plugs to see if I fouled one, or thinking maybe an injector got clogged with debris from the pump install. I get to plug # 4 and find the 10.mm wire with the sleeving + the heat sock is burnt. Damn forced induction REALLY heats up header pipes.

So I replace the wire (all the plugs looked good, but I replaced them too) and open up my file to see what I've missed. I'll be damned if I didn't changed HP Tuner over to read in metric units at some point. DUH!!!

Anyway, I was pretty concerned that I might had hurt the car (from my limited FI expereince / knowledge) but it turned out to be a simple problem + my stupidity. The car runs fine now, and the fuel is a steady 60psi under boost. Too funny.....