PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a newb at this, don't be cruel!

Old 03-25-2006, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a newb at this, don't be cruel!

Alright, well first of all let me say that I own a v6, so I'm not really sure if I'm applicable to this. I recently purchased the ProScan software and hardware, for my own personal use as well as using on my friend's vehicles. I've got a few questions:

I'm pretty good with computers, technology, programming, the basic geek stuff, and I'd like to learn how to tune. Of course, I don't expect to learn overnight.

First of all, is it even possible on a v6?
Second, can I do it with the hardware that I have now (OBDII >> a little box with some electronics in it >> serial >> USB >> my laptop) and some more software?

Or will I need all new hardware to do this? My main concern at the moment is to remove my rev limiter, (not speed limiter, I'm not that concerned.) but when I get my catback and headers installed I plan on getting more indepth with tuning.. plus I need a good sound clip and 4k revving is sort of weak.
Thanks, and please don't tell me to "search" because I've been searching, and will continue to do so, but I'd like a little input from you guys.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcgamer4life
Alright, well first of all let me say that I own a v6, so I'm not really sure if I'm applicable to this. I recently purchased the ProScan software and hardware, for my own personal use as well as using on my friend's vehicles. I've got a few questions:

I'm pretty good with computers, technology, programming, the basic geek stuff, and I'd like to learn how to tune. Of course, I don't expect to learn overnight.

First of all, is it even possible on a v6?
Second, can I do it with the hardware that I have now (OBDII >> a little box with some electronics in it >> serial >> USB >> my laptop) and some more software?

Or will I need all new hardware to do this? My main concern at the moment is to remove my rev limiter, (not speed limiter, I'm not that concerned.) but when I get my catback and headers installed I plan on getting more indepth with tuning.. plus I need a good sound clip and 4k revving is sort of weak.
Thanks, and please don't tell me to "search" because I've been searching, and will continue to do so, but I'd like a little input from you guys.

Proscan is a scanning ONLY solution... you can not modify the PCM with it....

So... can you scan your car? Yes
Can you make any changes to it? No

For modifying your PCM HP tuners (includes scanner, making proscan useless) and DHP are your only solutions.... and HP Tuners is leaps and bounds ahead of DHP....
Old 03-25-2006, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

You missed my point, I guess. I know that proscan is only a scanner. I'm asking if I can use the hardware that came with proscan, and another software (like HP Tuner, or EFILive, or something similar) to modify my PCM.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and he answered...no you cannot.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pcgamer4life
You missed my point, I guess. I know that proscan is only a scanner. I'm asking if I can use the hardware that came with proscan, and another software (like HP Tuner, or EFILive, or something similar) to modify my PCM.
HPT scans & edits, it is a very powerful tool. You will not need proscan once you have HPT. Here is link for applications: http://hptuners.com/order.php
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

get hp tune!

Search this Thread