PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone with SD tune issue: VERY lean on starts after certain time delay.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Everyone with SD tune issue: VERY lean on starts after certain time delay.

Who has problems when you start the car and it commands 11:1 and you see 14:1 (just an example)? On warm starts my F****** a/f goes to a damn 20.1:1. This **** is getting old fast. The car runs like *** until it has been driven a little bit. I am about to order a MAF for the car until we can figure out what the issue is. I dont know anything I havent changed for this. Please post up if you have this issue or if you know of any fix. Also what year car you have an OS.

For me: 2000 Stock OS
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up your open-loop coolant temp fuel correction vs MAP table.
What temp is this happening at?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never daily driven in pure SD but i've experminted with no maf/o2's and i've never had a problem with lean startup. I'm willing to bet there is a typo or correction needed somewhere in the tune. Try loading another OS, put it in sd and see what happens on startup. If you have deleted the afterstart enrichment table you could try adding a small value and see if that helps with startup.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

i am assuming that you have a WB02 sensor...correct. and this is where you are getting your readings.

Well do you still have your AIR or EGR hooked up if so it is adding clean air to your exhaust and that is what is doing it.

i suppose tell everyone if you have these hooked up to your exhaust.

Louie
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok its none of this easy stuff you guys are saying, this is a BIG problem for SD tunes, I have been over everything, reloaded the stock OS, ect... HPT and EFI Live forums have like a 6 page post about this, yet there are no answers. My OLFA table is set up fine, only problem is I cant add enrichment at 80*C where the car runs hot. I can get cold start to be ok, still have a 20% error but warm starts are way lean.

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 03-30-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Launching!

If you figure it out I would like to know. I have seen the same problem. Simple fix is to just put the MAF back on, tune it, and then forget about it and drive the wheels off it.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Same here, I would love to fix this.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nick Williams
If you figure it out I would like to know. I have seen the same problem. Simple fix is to just put the MAF back on, tune it, and then forget about it and drive the wheels off it.
exactly what I am thinking man, I am about to put a MAF back on this thing just for this reason. It gets frustrating.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the same problem, put all of your afterstart enrichments back to stock....you will want to check out your Idle/startup tables and decay rates. It has nothing to do with the MAF.

Best of Luck!!
Adrian
Old 03-29-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haans249
I've had the same problem, put all of your afterstart enrichments back to stock....you will want to check out your Idle/startup tables and decay rates. It has nothing to do with the MAF.

Best of Luck!!
Adrian
been there, done that, actually added to the enrichment tables to make it not as bad. like i said i think i have messed with about everything
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

What's your MAP reading at idle when it's doing this?
And what is the value you are running off of in your VE for this idle?
What PW does it show for this idle on your scan log?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Trust me when I say this, it has nothing to do with your MAF, and if your VE table is already dialed in after letting it sit for 5-10 mins, then its not the VE table either.

The problem lies in your idle startup airflow tables, especially at warmer startups. Make sure you look at ALL of the tables in there for airflow correction, and not just Startup Airflow Correction.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Trust me when I say this, it has nothing to do with your MAF, and if your VE table is already dialed in after letting it sit for 5-10 mins, then its not the VE table either.

The problem lies in your idle startup airflow tables, especially at warmer startups. Make sure you look at ALL of the tables in there for airflow correction, and not just Startup Airflow Correction.
This is not the problem. My idle ariflow at startup is the same as warm idle. If it is not the MAF then why is it taht everyone can put the MAF on and its fine?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also if I restart my car before it has sat for too long, maybe 5-10 min, it will start fine. Any longer than that it has issues. I know there are soak time corrections for cranking VE but this crap is happening while the car is running and at higher airflow values, the AFR actually comes to where it should.

When I start the car cold in the morning its way lean compaired to commanded, yet when I drive it it will richen up 1-2 points at hgiher airflow. A likely table to fix this looks like the bias correction factor but that doesnt even do anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
This is not the problem. My idle ariflow at startup is the same as warm idle. If it is not the MAF then why is it taht everyone can put the MAF on and its fine?
I guess you need more direction....look at the Startup Friction Airflow Correction. And then like you said, you have the same values in your startup airflow the same as desired....well, the startup airflow is ADDED to your desired when starting up and then is decayed. I guarantee you if you watch your IAC steps when you first startup they'll be really high and slowly decay to where they should be, while you have the lean condition. So you're essentially adding twice the air at startup without adding more fuel, and is a waste of fuel, at that, to try and compensate by adding more fuel. You're simply adding TOO much air on warm startups!

Best Regards,
Adrian
Old 03-30-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
When I start the car cold in the morning its way lean compaired to commanded, yet when I drive it it will richen up 1-2 points at hgiher airflow. A likely table to fix this looks like the bias correction factor but that doesnt even do anything.
The reason why it does this is there is a parameter in there that will instantly turn off the idle startup airflow corrections once you start driving, this is why you see this happening, which is also another indication to me as to the startup airflows are too high which is causing your lean startups.

Adrian
Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

The reason why it does this is there is a parameter in there that will instantly turn off the idle startup airflow corrections once you start driving, this is why you see this happening, which is also another indication to me as to the startup airflows are too high which is causing your lean startups.

Adrian
No this is not it, I know this for a fact. The car does not do it instantly, plus as I come down to idle, once everything is decayed, bam, AFR 17:1 but right before I shut the car down, only sat 15 min, it was reading 14.0:1. The warm start has big issues and I have yet to see someone in SD without the issue. Well, people say they dont have the issue but never want to post up anything to provide us with better informatin.

Fact of the matter is, there is some sort of table in there we must not have access to. Like I said, I just started the car, 18.0:1 AFR idling, drove it, got back in the driveway after maybe a 2 min drive and that **** was still 10% lean.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW, I can even shut the IAC motor with the controls and I still am 20% lean on idle.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the AIR pump running at this time?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

I believe I said this in another thread dealing with this on the HPT message board, but try loading in an 01-02 calibration.

Quick Reply: Everyone with SD tune issue: VERY lean on starts after certain time delay.