PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 PCM tunning for FD

Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 PCM tunning for FD

ok guys I need some input here I can't make up my mind, how to go about this. For my LS1/FD I'm putting a Cam, headers and a bottle on it before I even get it on the road. How would you go about getting the PCM ready and up and running. I'm talking about deleting the vats, skip shift, rear 02's, BCM, emissions stuff that I don’t need. Also getting it tuned for the somewhat large cam I got for it. Would you have someone just delete the vats, the 02's and skip shift just to be able to get it to some place to dyno tune it. Or would you rather just buy LS1 Edit or HP tuners and do it all your self? If so how hard is it to learn all this? I have dealer experience with all kinds of scan tools and everything I would like to think I could handle it. I'm just more worried about getting the tune right with the bottle more than anything. Any info will help out here. Also I don’t know how hard it will be to tune for the cam I'm looking to turn the motor like 6800 if that makes it any more difficult or not.

Also have you guys with the stock dash changed the tire size and rear gear with LS1 edit or HP tuners or do you not have to do this with the dakota digital box. I would think for the dash to work it would not be needed but would you need to do it for the LS1 PCM to have correct info.

Motor Mods:
Custom Comp Cam
.589/.589 236/236 112LSA
JTR 1 7/8 headers
Nitrous Dave's plate kit with a 150 shot.
ARP rod bolts
Old 04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

so long as you're willing to learn, then definetly get your own tuning software with wideband. Don't even consider LS1 Edit... it's so out of date it's not funny... right now the Front runners are HP Tuners and EFI Live.

See the sticky entitled best tuning software for some more info.

You can disable VATS, change gearing/tire sizes etc... no problem w/the full tuning solutions
Old 04-05-2006, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want your speedo to work in your rx7, you WILL need the dakota digital. Manipulating the numbers in the PCM alone simply wont cut it.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

doh... didn't notice it was in an RX7 ...
Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by crash41301
If you want your speedo to work in your rx7, you WILL need the dakota digital. Manipulating the numbers in the PCM alone simply wont cut it.
oh I got the box I know what I need to do to get the dash to work I'm talking about does the PCM need to know as well that the tires and gear are different.

So you guys would rather do it your self then pay to have someone tune the car. So this is something that can be self taught and still get a good tune out of it all even with out a dyno.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PCM doesnt need to know. However if you get HPTuners or whatever other tuning suite, it doesnt hurt to go ahead and set it up correctly. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it. I've been driving my ls1 / Rx7 for several months with the pcm thinking the car was moving at an incorrect mph with no side effects.

PS: I dont know that I would use the term "FD" on this forum. While nearly every import enthusiast knows what the term "FD" means, most domestic guys have no idea what that means. I find "3rd gen Rx7" or "the curvy rx7" to work much better here
Old 04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

Bump any other info I need to know?

Yes this is a LS1 RX7 sorry for got I was not on Torque Central

Search this Thread